Change Coulour if gender is female

everblazing

Board Regular
Hi

would appreciate any assistance here. I have a cell in sheet Fig 2 that has multiple names. this cell brings names based on a macro from Master_Data sheet. I would like to be able to know who is male and who is female. In Master_Data I have a column which specifies female or male, Column D. Names is Column B.

would appreciate any help if there is a conditional formatting that has if cell A2 contains a name that is female in column D then change to blue.

Regards

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Create a new rule using a formula to determine which cells to format. Then add a VLOOKUP (or any other lookup formula) as the rule.

If you want to format several columns at the same time use a fixed reference for the lookup value. Also remember to use exact match with your names.

Upvote 0
Hi Misca,

thank you for your reply, In cell B2 Sheet Fig 2 I have multiple names. unfortunately its not working. potentially because i have multiple names in 1 cell.

Appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
Hi,

You do need to have each name in a cell ...

If your constraint is to keep your current sheet as it is ....

Then you can replicate on a new tab you current sheet ... and generate clean cells ...

Hope this will help

Upvote 0
As long as A2 only has one name try
=AND(A2<>"",INDEX(Master_Data!$D$2:$D$10,MATCH("*"&A2&"*",Master_Data!$A$2:$A$10,0))="F")

Upvote 0
If every name in the row are the same gender you can lookup just the first name and colorcode the row based on that only. To be able to do this within the lookup formula you'd have to know the delimiter. And make sure all the rows with multiple names are constructed the same way. I can't actually recommend this way but it can be done if you really must.

The recommended way would be to have only one person per row and if you must group them, have a different column for the group they belong in. If a person can belong in several groups, there should be a row for that person in each group he/she belongs in.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back