SUMIFS and Vlookup

TheEnergyMan

I cant seem to get my head around SUMIFS and VLOOKUP,

Im currently using:

=SUMIF('Gas July'!$B$2:$D$217, VLOOKUP($A3, 'Gas July'!$B$2:$D$217, 1, FALSE), 'Gas July'!$D$2:$D$217)

Which points to a sheet with only July Data and multiple sites and it gives me the number I want (total usage for a particular building), however to save me having multiple tabs I have a main tab with all my years data on it for multiple sites.

I got to:

SUMIF(Gas!A2:BA4644, VLOOKUP($A3,Gas!A2:BA4644, 53, FALSE),Gas!A2:BA4644)

Which Again gives me the total for a site but it gives me the total for all data relating to site "A3"

Ive tried:

=SUMIFs(Gas!BA2:BA4644, Gas!A2:BA4644, VLOOKUP($A3,Gas!A2:BA4644, 1, FALSE), Gas!A2:BA4644, VLOOKUP($B2, Gas!A2:BA4644, 1, FALSE))

Which makes sense to me, as the first Vlookup relates to the site "A3" and the second lookup relates to the month "B2" but all i get is errros and '#VALUE!"

in an attempt to better understand Sumifs i tried putting my sumif statement into a sumifs statement and changing the order of the Criteria, range and SumRange but that also throws out a "#VALUE!"

example:
SUMIF(Gas!A2:BA4644, VLOOKUP($A3,Gas!A2:BA4644, 53, FALSE),Gas!A2:BA4644)

SUMIFS(Gas!A2:BA4644, Gas!A2:BA4644, VLOOKUP($A3,Gas!A2:BA4644, 53, FALSE))

Although Ive moved the Criteria, Criteria Range and Sum range around accordingly it doesnt work?? What am I not understanding here?

Thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
You can give an example of your data and what are the criteria to sum.

Upvote 0
Of the sheet im pulling the data from, column A is the name of the site, Column C is the Date, column BA is the total for that day, and Column BB is the Month, format MMM- YY

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming your data on the "gas" sheet is like this:

Gas
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >BA</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >BUILDING</td><td >DATE</td><td > </td><td >VALUE</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >build1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">15-ago</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">123</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >build2</td><td style="text-align:right; ">15-sep</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">133</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >build3</td><td style="text-align:right; ">15-oct</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">143</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td >build1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">20-ago</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">153</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td >build2</td><td style="text-align:right; ">20-sep</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">163</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td >build3</td><td style="text-align:right; ">20-sep</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">173</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td >build1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">16-oct</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">183</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td >build2</td><td style="text-align:right; ">17-oct</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">193</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td >build3</td><td style="text-align:right; ">18-oct</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">203</td></tr></table>

Try this

Sheet1
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">9</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >build2</td><td style="text-align:right; ">296</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >B3</td><td >=SUMPRODUCT((Gas!A2:A10=A3)*(MONTH(Gas!B2:B10)=B2)*(Gas!BA2:BA10))</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
Hi DanteAmor, Thanks for all of your help on this matter, sadly that formula didnt work for me either, I got a NUM! error.

The good news here is that I was able to get it working with "=SUMIFS(Gas!$BA$2:$BA$4644, Gas!$A$2:$A$4644, $A3, Gas!$D$2:$D$4644, $B$2)"

I think I was missunderstanding the nature of Vlookup and that was what was messing up my formula.

Thanks again for all your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back