VBA to search a column for the first instance of a date within a designated month

DJhuffman

I'm sure that title makes this sound far more complicated than it is (at least, I hope so).

To give some background, I have a spreadsheet that lists data chronologically. Out of that data, I have a formula that utilizes just the data from the current month, for example:

=SUM(G39:H55)-SUM(X39:X55)

covers the month of September. However, when I update the data in this spreadsheet using my current macro, old dates are removed and new dates are added. Is there a way that I can search the date column (D) for the row containing the first time a date in Sept is entered and assign that to a variable that I can then substitute into the formula for the G and X cells? Something along the following lines:

TMONTH = (formula to determine first row in col D containing a date in Sept [not necesarily the 1st])
Range("K60") = "SUM(G" & TMONTH & ":H55)-SUM(X" & TMONTH & ":X55)"

Any help would be appreciated. The people on the forums have been so helpful when I've hit a roadblock in the past!

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Are you just trying to get the SUM of a particular month?
If so, instead of doing something like that, why not use a SUMIF, SUMIFS, or SUMPRODUCT formula to sum all the records where your designated criteria (month) is met?
Something like this: https://exceljet.net/formula/sum-by-month

Upvote 0
Ok. I gave this a try. But unless I'm mistaken, to make this work, the resulting formula would look like:

=SUMIFS(G2:G71,D2:D71, ">=" & "9/1/2019")+SUMIFS(H2:H71,D2:D71, ">=" & "9/1/2019")-SUMIFS(X2:X71,D2:D71, ">=" & "9/1/2019")

In which case, my macro would need to incorporate some code to update the Date each month:

Range("K60") = "=SUMIFS(G2:G71,D2:D71, ">=" & Month(Date) - 1 & "/1/" & Year(Date))+SUMIFS(H2:H71,D2:D71, ">=" & Month(Date) - 1 & "/1/" & Year(Date))-SUMIFS(X2:X71,D2:D71, ">=" & Month(Date) - 1 & "/1/" & Year(Date))"

Though this code generates a type mismatch error. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My apologies. As to whether I am trying to get the SUM of a particular month, I believe the answer is yes, though that month is always the month prior to the date I run the update (ie. I want the sum of September dates when I run the report in October). The Reports will never contain dates after the date of concern (the report in the earlier example may have dates from April, but not October).

I hope this will help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back