VBA - PowerShell stdOut and waitOnReturn Required

Zakkaroo

I'm not the best at this, but it appears there are (at least) two ways to call a PowerShell script from vba one is to use .Run and the other is to use .Exec

RUN let's you add a parameter called waitOnReturn
EXEC let's you read the output of the script via .StdOut.ReadAll

But I need to do both at the same time.

Effectively, i'll be looping through a list of files, running the script multiple times - the script itself will have a delay that will be indeterminate - so i can't just use a normal VBA wait for xx seconds.

So, my question is - how do I both wait for the script to finish AND read the output of the script?

Here's an example of .Run (that i found on this forum) using the waitOnReturn

Code:
    Dim wsh As Object
    Set wsh = VBA.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Dim waitOnReturn As Boolean: waitOnReturn = True
    Dim windowStyle As Integer: windowStyle = 1
    Dim errorCode As Integer
    wsh.Run "POWERSHELL.EXE " & "\\PathToYourPowerShellScript\PowerShellScript.ps1", windowStyle, waitOnReturn
    MsgBox "Finished"
Here's an example of using .Exec and .StdOut

Code:
    strCommand = "Powershell -file ""C:\PowerShellScriptName.ps1"""
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set WshShellExec = WshShell.Exec(strCommand)
    strOutput = WshShellExec.StdOut.ReadAll
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = strOutput

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Try using Run and the PowerShell redirection operator (>) or the -Out-File cmdlet to redirect the output to a file and read that file:
Code:
Sub Test()

Dim wsh As Object
    Set wsh = VBA.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Dim waitOnReturn As Boolean: waitOnReturn = True
    Dim windowStyle As Integer: windowStyle = 1
    Dim errorCode As Integer
    Dim tempFile As String

tempFile = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Powershell_Output.txt"

'Either
    wsh.Run "POWERSHELL.EXE " & "\\PathToYourPowerShellScript\PowerShellScript.ps1 > '" & tempFile & "'", windowStyle, waitOnReturn

'Or
    'wsh.Run "POWERSHELL.EXE " & "\\PathToYourPowerShellScript\PowerShellScript.ps1 | Out-File -filePath '" & tempFile & "' -encoding ASCII", windowStyle, waitOnReturn

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").OpenTextFile(tempFile).ReadAll

MsgBox "Finished"

End Sub
PS - the single quotes around tempFile might need to be double quotes.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this John_w - that appears to be working perfectly (at least in my simple test) :)

Just to confirm, I had to use the 2nd option (Out-File) - as the first option runs, but reads nonsense characters back into Excel

Upvote 0
This seems like a trivial additional question, but I can't seem to get it to work ... where / how would I put in the things I want to pass across as Parameters?

Specifically, where the Script is called here (see code below) - if i had a variable called "ScriptParam" that contained a string I wanted to pass through when running the PowerShell script, where do I put it in the below?

Code:
'wsh.Run "POWERSHELL.EXE " & "\\PathToYourPowerShellScript\PowerShellScript.ps1 | Out-File -filePath '" & tempFile & "' -encoding ASCII", windowStyle, waitOnReturn
I don't know if it's the combination of quotation marks etc. :p but wherever i put it, it doesn't seem to like it.

Upvote 0
As a sample ... the line below runs and calls a PS script that basically spits back at you, whatever you send to it.
This bit of code works

Code:
wsh.Run "POWERSHELL.EXE C:\Basic-Input-Output.ps1 [B]Testing123 [/B]| Out-File -filePath '" & tempFile & "' -encoding ASCII", windowStyle, waitOnReturn

But instead of 'Testing123' - I'll have some text stored in a variable that I need to go here. I just can't seem to get that to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just as an end-point to the thread - I figured it out ... it was all about the placement of quotation marks etc.

In this code, c.ODBCConnection.CommandText is what i needed to be passed to the script, but you could easily replace this with a Variable containing any string you like.

Code:
wsh.Run "POWERSHELL.EXE C:\PowerShell_Script.ps1 " & "'" & c.ODBCConnection.CommandText & "'" & "| Out-File -filePath '" & tempFile & "' -encoding ASCII", windowStyle, waitOnReturn

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickdozaj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back