One table multiple sheets ?

Griffin29

Hi, I am sure there is an easy way to do this (I hope) but I am struggling. Please help :)

I have a large set of data, about 30 columns and about 40,000 rows. About 7 of the columns need updating regularly but it's cumbersome to navigate and tricky to reorganise as the data is appended to fairly often.

What I would like to do is have a sheet called "Alldata" with everything in and another sheet "Critical" (or sheets possibly) with a subsection of the master showing (about 7 columns not 30). The tricky bit is I would like to make updates in the "Critical" table/view but for it to be reflected in the "Alldata" tab.

I looked at the camera function but it's view only, Pivots are the same. I followed a couple of things I found in VBA when looking online but couldn't get it to work. What am I overlooking ?

Failing this as a solution I guess I can hide/unhide columns and rearrange but an editable pivot would be so much easier.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I would suggest this:

I assume your saying you want to work on column 20 to 30 sometimes but do not really need to see column 1 to 19

So you would like to see column 20 where column 1 now is so you can work on that column of Data.

What I would suggest is you use the Group button on the Data Bar

Select Columns 1 to 29 and choose Group

Now that group of columns will be out of view

You will see a couple icons on the left side of the screen just below the Menu Bar to toggle from Groped to ungrouped

Upvote 0
Hi, thank you for your reply, I don't think that quite works, my explanation was a bit poor.

so the columns are want to see are not in order or adjacent to one another as an example :

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO columns

but I want to see

NCDOMF only in that order and be able to edit the contents of any cell

The only way I know how to do that is to move the columns into the order I want then hide the ones I don't want to see but because the file is amended often and the data I import is format A-O it seemed to make sense to me to have another view somehow.

So I was thinking that one sheet (Master) had the 'Master table' with all data columns A-O that can easily be appended but then somehow another sheet (View) where only columns NCDOMF could be seen but if I updated a cell in say (View) N1, the cell in (Master) N1 of the Master would also be updated.

Open to ideas because that doesn't sound too efficient but hopefully explains better and thanks again for trying to help.

I would suggest this:

I assume your saying you want to work on column 20 to 30 sometimes but do not really need to see column 1 to 19

So you would like to see column 20 where column 1 now is so you can work on that column of Data.

What I would suggest is you use the Group button on the Data Bar

Select Columns 1 to 29 and choose Group

Now that group of columns will be out of view

You will see a couple icons on the left side of the screen just below the Menu Bar to toggle from Groped to ungrouped

Upvote 0
I have no real answer other then writing a Vba script to hide certain columns.

But then your wanting those columns arranged in a exact order that is not the standard order

I'm sure someone else here on the forum may have a answer but I have no easy solution.

This is beyond my knowledgebase.
I will continue to monitor this thread to see what I can learn.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back