Indirect Function Alternative

Littlemalky

Board Regular
I started using the INDIRECT function to create a super dynamic Sumif that references a named range based on criteria. However, I noticed that my calculation time has increased significantly since taking this approach. I read online that this is a very volatile function that performs slowly. Is there an alternative to my approach that would increase my calc time? My formula us as such:

=SUMIFS(SALES,INDIRECT(LEFT($B8,2)&"_CODE"),$B8,MONTH_NUM,D$3,SCENARIO,D$6)

I'm using named ranges in my Criteria Ranges and you can see the INDIRECT function is looking for the first two digits of the cell i'm referencing and tacking on _CODE which will reference various named ranges.

Anybody have ideas?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
So I can't give you an example of exactly how to try this in your situation, but I think the Choose function could be an alternative here. The Choose function takes a bit of creativity to setup as your dynamic choice must boil down to an number, but it is quite fast and allows you to dynamically return a range reference that can be used in other formulas, including sumifs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back