Problem handling a run-time 91

JayStax

Code:
'/////////////////////////////Variable Declaration//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dim masterData As Worksheet, console As Worksheet, inputCell As Range, firstNames As Range, lastName As Range, countWhichName As Range 'EZ refs for sheets/ranges

Dim client As String, searchInput As String 'text variable for client and for search value

Dim matchCountLast As Integer

Dim matchCountFirst As Integer

Dim inputBoxValue As Variant

'/////////////////////////////////////Constants set//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Set masterData = Sheets("Master Data")

Set console = Sheets("Client Console")

Set firstName = masterData.Range("C2:C99999")

Set lastName = masterData.Range("B2:B99999")

Set inputCell = console.Range("E3") 'setting variable equal to cell that pulls name

'///////////////////////////////////// For USERFORMS //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dim recordType As String, firstRecord As String, lastRecord As String

'////////////////////////////// Section for finding and pulling client info ///////////////////////////////////////

searchInput = inputCell.Value

client = lastName.Find(What:=searchInput, MatchCase:=False) 'this statement is killing me

If client <> "" Then
matchCountLast = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(lastName, client)

matchCountFirst = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(firstName, client)
End If

Basically my problem is with the line last before the if statement. Sometimes the find will find nothing. I intend it to be that way. I don't wanna use on error resume next without understanding how to properly handle the error.

Little overview, this is personal worksheet I am going to use for storing, entering, and pulling data for potential clients, leads, prospects, etc. Basically it is going to check if the name matches any lasts, then if it matches any firsts. I have the program down for most of it. However I can't figure out how to manuever around this error. Hopefully it isnt syntax bc ive been trying to figure it out for like 24 hours now :p

Also, if i used .firstName range instead of .lastName. I wouldn't get an error. The fact is i'm testing it. I entered a first name and I want it to check last names first then check first names.

Thanks for your help

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
I always use a range valrable when using .Find, as you can easily test to see if it was found
Code:
    Dim Fnd As Range
    Set Fnd = lastname.Find(searchInput, , , xlWhole, , , False, , False)
    If Fnd Is Nothing Then
        'nothing found
    Else
        'something found
    End If

Upvote 0
I always use a range valrable when using .Find, as you can easily test to see if it was found
Code:
    Dim Fnd As Range
    Set Fnd = lastname.Find(searchInput, , , xlWhole, , , False, , False)
    If Fnd Is Nothing Then
        'nothing found
    Else
        'something found
    End If

It is not finding something. I expect that. is there an if find feature perhaps? I need it to check a row then check another before it can determine if no data is available.

Upvote 0
It is not finding something. I expect that. is there an if find feature perhaps? I need it to check a row then check another before it can determine if no data is available.

From my research thus far, most people suggest doing it exactly how you stated. So I am going to give it a try. I really wanted to use the string. also couldn't edit my original reply.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Simply put the code you want to run if nothing is found, where it says "'nothing found"

Upvote 0
Simply put the code you want to run if nothing is found, where it says "'nothing found"
tbh i am not sure what you mean.

heres the code i used going off of your info.

Code:
'////////////////////////////// Section for finding and pulling client info ///////////////////////////////////////

searchInput = inputCell.Value

'/////////////////////////////////////////avoid error for finding/////////////////////////////////////////////////
Set avoidError = lastName.Find(What:=searchInput, MatchCase:=False)

If avoidError Is Nothing Then

Set avoidError = firstName.Find(What:=searchInput, MatchCase:=False)

If avoidError Is Nothing Then

client = ""

Else

client = avoidError.Value

End If

Else

client = avoidError.Value

End If
'/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If client <> "" Then
matchCountLast = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(lastName, client)

matchCountFirst = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(firstName, client)
End If

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your welcome, however when using Find I would recommend using it like I showed.
Excel remembers the settings you used last (either manually or in VBA) so if your are looking for "Smith" your code could return "Smithson"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back