Simple formula but my brains not working please help

adamdarwin315

Hi, as a sideline I make candles and I'm trying to do a spread sheet to work out the cost of each candle. I'm struggling to find the formula to price the scent thst I add as a variable amount. Say for instance I paid £5 for 50g of scent and added it to 700g of wax, what would the price be per gram of the whole 750g and what would the formula be.
I've added the price of the wax elsewhere.
I'm new to excel (obviously) it's probably easy, but my brain doesnt work.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Welcome to the Board!

We would need to know how the price for the Wax is represented.
You have the scent is £5 for 50g.
How is the price of Wax set?

Upvote 0
It would be (the cost of the wax + £5) / 750 wouldn't it?

Upvote 0
It would be (the cost of the wax + £5) / 750 wouldn't it?
It would, if the price he has is the cost for exactly 700g of Wax.
If the price of the max he has is for anything other than exactly 700g of Wax (i.e. he has price per 500g of Wax), then a little more math would be needed.

Upvote 0
Hi @adamdarwin315, welcome to the forum, check the following example:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:126.42px;" /><col style="width:100.75px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:149.23px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#92d050; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Price</td><td style="background-color:#92d050; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Gram</td><td style="background-color:#92d050; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; ">Price per gram</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; ">Wax</td><td style="text-align:right; ">8</td><td style="text-align:right; ">700</td><td style="text-align:right; ">0.0114</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; ">Scent</td><td style="text-align:right; ">5</td><td style="text-align:right; ">50</td><td style="text-align:right; ">0.1000</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; ">TOTAL</td><td style="text-align:right; ">13</td><td style="text-align:right; ">750</td><td style="text-align:right; ">0.1114</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >D2</td><td >=B2/C2</td></tr><tr><td >D3</td><td >=B3/C3</td></tr><tr><td >B4</td><td >=SUM(B2:B3)</td></tr><tr><td >C4</td><td >=SUM(C2:C3)</td></tr><tr><td >D4</td><td >=SUM(D2:D3)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
Dante,

I believe your math is a bit faulty. D4 should actually be:
Code:
=B4/C4
otherwise, you are weighting the different amounts equally, and that is not the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dante,

I believe your math is a bit faulty. D4 should actually be:
Code:
=B4/C4
otherwise, you are weighting the different amounts equally, and that is not the case.

Hi @Joe4, You're right :oops:

Hi @adamdarwin315, As Joe said, the formula in D4 should be
=B4/C4

Upvote 0
I've added the price of the wax elsewhere.
I saw that, but they did not give us any indication of what units the price was stored in (i.e. price per gram. price per 700 gram, price per some other quantity), hence my initial question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back