Find month when criteria has been met (sum of project cost)

chet645

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
All, wondering if someone can help me with a formula. I need a formula that will calculate the month when total project cost has been spent (e.g. 500 in the table below). In the table below, the correct month is 5.

Month
0​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
11​
Project Cost​

100​
100​
100​
100​
100​

Total Project Cost​
500​

Month of Completion​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you in advance for your help.

Chet

Thanks Peter. Curiouser and curiouser. I tested my workbook on two other computers and each time, when it loads, both formulas show as arrays. When I change one to a normal formula, it doesn't work. When I put the same thumb drive back into my desktop computer, the first formula shows as normal (as it was saved). When I press F2 and Enter, it enters as a normal formula and gives the correct results. There are clearly dark forces at work here!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
See if this is what you want. I have added a few examples for checking.
Formula in B5 copied across.

Cost Spent

ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1Month01234567891011
2Project Cost 10010010010010050200100
4Total Project Cost5001501000780
5Month of Completion52 8

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:156px;"><col style="width:40px;"><col style="width:40px;"><col style="width:47px;"><col style="width:40px;"><col style="width:40px;"><col style="width:40px;"><col style="width:33px;"><col style="width:40px;"><col style="width:40px;"><col style="width:26px;"><col style="width:33px;"><col style="width:33px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
B5=IFERROR(MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(SUMIF(OFFSET($C$2,,,1,COLUMN($C2:$M2)-COLUMN($C2)+1),"<>")>=B4,,0),0),"")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Thank you very much, Peter. This is a beautiful solution. Quick follow up question. My post was a simplified version of a more complex spreadsheet. The month row in my actual model is at the very top of the worksheet (70+ rows above), and I have given it a named range "INDEX_MONTH." If I wanted to modify your formula to reference the named range, is there an easy way to do it? Also, one other clarification, the month # in my spreadsheet is actually a month, not a month #. I am somewhat of a novice, but I believe your formula returns a column #, and I need it to pull an actual date? Again, I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Chet

Upvote 0
Try this change for the B5 formula in my layout.

=IFERROR(INDEX(INDEX_MONTH,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(SUMIF(OFFSET($[size=+1]B[/size]$2,,,1,COLUMN($C2:$M2)-COLUMN($C2)+1),"<>")>=B4,,0),0)),"")

The red [size=+1]B[/size] should be whatever is the first column in your INDEX_MONTH named range. So if that named range started in column C then make that red column ref a C

Upvote 0
Try this change for the B5 formula in my layout.

=IFERROR(INDEX(INDEX_MONTH,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(SUMIF(OFFSET($[SIZE=+1]B[/SIZE]$2,,,1,COLUMN($C2:$M2)-COLUMN($C2)+1),"<>")>=B4,,0),0)),"")

The red [SIZE=+1]B[/SIZE] should be whatever is the first column in your INDEX_MONTH named range. So if that named range started in column C then make that red column ref a C

Once again. Thanks, Peter! I will give it a try. Really appreciate your help.

Kindest Regards,
Chet

Upvote 0
Hi Tom. Thanks so much for that. I'm very grateful for your post. Yes, that's the difference. I shall clearly have to be careful how I use this computer if I ever distribute workbooks. Nice to know that neither I nor my computer are going mad.

Upvote 0
In Office 365 Insider you no longer need to enter a matrix formula with CSE. A simple ENTER is enough.
Ah, I'm not in the Insiders program and thought the simple Enter only applied to the 'new' array formulas being released there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back