AVERAGEIF function

willow1985

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

It is my first time using the AverageIf function and I seem to be having trouble getting it to work.

I want the formula to calculate the average of all numbers in sheet "warranty report" column O that have a date of 2019 in column L. The sheet that the formula is on has the date of 2019 in cell B1.

=AVERAGEIF('Warranty Report'!O:O,B1,'Warranty Report'!L:L)

However this formula is giving me a #DIV/0! error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Carla

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Re: Help with AVERAGEIF function

First, generally, it is better to use a reasonably limited range (e.g. $O$1:$O$10000) instead of a whole-column range (O:O).

Second, the #DIV/0 errors means that there is no row that meets the criteria.

In this case, it is because you have the parameters reversed. You can write:

=AVERAGEIF('Warranty Report'!$L$1:$L$10000, B1, 'Warranty Report'!$O$1:$O$10000)
or
=AVERAGEIFS('Warranty Report'!$O$1:$O$10000, 'Warranty Report'!$L$1:$L$10000, B1)

I assume that column L contains just year numbers, not Excel dates that might be formatted to display just the year number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I tried a limited range at first but then saw an example online with whole-column ranges so tried that. I see though that I had the averageif and averageifs mixed up. It is working now with the averageif formula you provided.

Thank you very much!

Carla

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I tried a limited range at first but then saw an example online with whole-column ranges so tried that

Yes, I see even so-called Excel "experts" that use them. It is lazy. More importantly, it is the most common cause of the complaint that Excel is "non-responding". Really, Excel is taking an inordinate amount of time to recalculate, which it might do with each edit.

Just because people post it, that doesn't make it better, much less right. It might not be an issue for AVERAGEIF; Excel might be smart enough to determine the last row of data first. But it is a bad habit, especially when it is applied (all too often) to SUMPRODUCT and array-entered IF expressions (e.g. STDEV(IF(....)) ).

A word to the wise....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back