Password Protecting Worksheet from Viewing or Alternatives

nothere1

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Is it possible to have multiple people share the same workbook with different permissions?

Let's say everyone has access to the workbook file, but they have to have a passcode to view a certain tab?

OR

If you create the spreadsheet tabs to be very hidden, is it possible that the person who needs to view that tab, can just simply enter a password?

Any thoughts here? Thank you.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Welcome

Pretty much anything like that can be done.

Be aware though that as Excel security is limited, all users, if they try, can probably see everything.

Maybe a different approach can do what you need?

regards

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. The problem is I have not been able to find a solution to lets say for example take 4 different workbooks, and link them together to populate the data we need.

I've tried sharepoint online, and dropbox. Now I am thinking about google sheets.

Upvote 0
A query can take data from 4 different workbooks, linking them together (exactly like a database query of 4 tables) to populate a table. Also, in a nearly identical approach, a pivot table can take data from 4 different workbooks. Both of these approaches have been around for 20+ years. The user interface is MS Query. It can be done with VBA of course. ADO and similar approaches can do this via VBA. Also been around many years.

Newer versions of Excel offer power query & such, of which I'm unfamiliar. For a basic querying of data from 4 files, it basically does the same thing with a different user interface.

All of the above are working like a database. So well structured tables as sources. If you google you'll find endless examples.

If you don't know what you want, then start a new question and explain as specifically as you can what is wanted. Like my current signature says, to receive a better answer put more work into asking the question.

all the best

Upvote 0
A query can take data from 4 different workbooks, linking them together (exactly like a database query of 4 tables) to populate a table. Also, in a nearly identical approach, a pivot table can take data from 4 different workbooks. Both of these approaches have been around for 20+ years. The user interface is MS Query. It can be done with VBA of course. ADO and similar approaches can do this via VBA. Also been around many years.

Newer versions of Excel offer power query & such, of which I'm unfamiliar. For a basic querying of data from 4 files, it basically does the same thing with a different user interface.

All of the above are working like a database. So well structured tables as sources. If you google you'll find endless examples.

If you don't know what you want, then start a new question and explain as specifically as you can what is wanted. Like my current signature says, to receive a better answer put more work into asking the question.

all the best

I understand what you mean somewhat about a database query.
Have you seen anything on sharepoint online regarding the get data function that allows you to do such a thing? Look at this article i posted yesterday with Microsoft, that is why I came here to see if there is another way I can do this.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...essageId=d9031111-37bd-4644-8342-578ceb50a2d0

Upvote 0
I can't help on this, sorry.

I know nothing about sharepoint online nor the get data function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back