Todays little conundrum copy worksheet.

Nygie

Board Regular
Morning all

Using what I have learned, today I managed to copy a range of one sheet to a new sheet preserving formatting using the paste special method. This sheet is then copied to a new workbook that opens, saves and closes using the below code.
This method although very simple does not seem to duplicate the formatting like manually copying a sheet to a new workbook. Is there a simple addition to this I am missing that would preserve the formatting or should I look at another way of doing it, like copy and paste special to a new workbook.

Thanks again.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Application.DisplayAlerts = False[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]ThisWorkbook.Sheets("PMimp").Copy
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="X:\CIS\Fire Iinstallations\Temp\PMimp.csv", FileFormat:=xlCSV, CreateBackup:=True
ActiveWorkbook.Close[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Application.DisplayAlerts = True[/FONT]

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Exactly what kind of formatting are you talking about?
It looks like you are saving to a CSV file, and CSV files do not have formatting (they are straight text files).

Upvote 0
Exactly what kind of formatting are you talking about?
It looks like you are saving to a CSV file, and CSV files do not have formatting (they are straight text files).

Hi thanks for your reply Joe. You are indeed correct about the text file. I just checked the resulting file in notepad, it is fine.... never thought to check it in notepad before.
It's when you open the csv file in excel it is treating some of the cells as custom date cells for some reason i.e. MAR01 is formatting as date MAR-01 (01/03/2001). This obviously is of no consequence as long as the csv is correct.
Thanks for the brainstorming.

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

Yes, you should always use a Text Editor to view any sort of Text file to see what it really contains. The problem with Excel (especially with CSV files), is that Excel doesn't simply open the file and display the data "as-is". Rather, it does its own data conversions (what it this it should do).

One of my biggest pet peeves with Microsoft is that they determined that Excel should be the default program to view CSV files (because of what I said above). One of the first things I do when getting a new computer is change that default program to a Text Editor. One should NOT use Excel to view CSV files, if you really want to know what the data in the CSV file really looks like.

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe, I have never come across this with excel and csv files before. I know for future reference though.
Thanks

Upvote 0
The thing that I see people have the most problem with is custom date formats and leading zeroes, as opening in Excel will drop those things.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back