Using Excel Filter to Search for text containing a comma & displaying all records that contain one

LeeNJ

I have a list of Email Addresses in an Excel File along with other columns. I Filter the email column to search for mistakes, like double periods (..) which works fine in the filter. But when I search for a comma (,) it's not allowed. Sometimes people type a comma for the period (by accident) & I need to find these records via the Filter and correct the email address. I tried searching text that contains *,* and that doesn't work either. Any idea how to easily filter a column to search text containing a comma. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Maybe a formula solution would be easier. Copy the formula in B2 down to cover all email addresses in col A.
Excel Workbook
AB
1EmailAddressComma or .. Errors
2Someone@email.com 
3Someone@email.com
4Someone@email..comERROR
5Someone@email.com
6Someone@email.com
7Someone@email.com
8Someone@email,comERROR
9Someone@email.com
10Someone@email.com
Sheet2

Upvote 0
Joe, that you so much for answering my question. I still wish I can do it in the filter screen, but I'll try your formula. I tried adding more items that I search for, but the formula didn't work. Can you please edit it to look for a few more items that I look for in the filter. This way I won't even have to use the filter for anything; your formula will search for all.
1) .cm (instead of .com - common mistake. I know there is a country code of cm for Country of Cameroon, but I think chances are slim that person is from that country.
2) *@*@* (looking for two @ signs anywhere in the email address (sometimes instead of a period people use an @ sign by mistake or just uses two @ signs somewhere in the email address-not necessarily right next to each other, hence the astericks
3) Can you search for record if it DOESN'T contain an @ sign? Obvioiusly email is incorrect if it doesn't have an @ sign
4) Can you search for record if it DOESN'T contain a Period (.) because all emails should have a period as well as the @ sign.
Thanks for any help and thanks for your quick response yesterday

Upvote 0
Peter,
Oops, I just realized I get my list from Access and that's when I filter the records to search for bad emails BEFORE I export the list to Excel, so this way it's get's corrected in Access before I export it into Excel.
So I was actually filtering in Access. Whether I search for a , or *,* it says to "Enter a Valid Value".

Thanks for any help, if you know Access! If I can't figure it out in the filter, I can still use the formula that Joe gave me after I export the list, I'll just have to remember to make the corrections in Access as well. It would be nice to know how to do it either way.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Joe, that you so much for answering my question. I still wish I can do it in the filter screen, but I'll try your formula. I tried adding more items that I search for, but the formula didn't work. Can you please edit it to look for a few more items that I look for in the filter. This way I won't even have to use the filter for anything; your formula will search for all.
You are welcome. That's a lot of terms to add. Would you be open to a VBA solution?

Upvote 0
So I was actually filtering in Access.

Thanks for any help, if you know Access!
I don't, but wouldn't you be best to ask this question in the Access Forum? (or perhaps you have?)

I tried adding more items that I search for, but the formula didn't work. Can you please edit it to look for a few more items that I look for in the filter.

1) .cm (instead of .com - common mistake. I know there is a country code of cm for Country of Cameroon, but I think chances are slim that person is from that country.
2) *@*@* (looking for two @ signs anywhere in the email address (sometimes instead of a period people use an @ sign by mistake or just uses two @ signs somewhere in the email address-not necessarily right next to each other, hence the astericks
3) Can you search for record if it DOESN'T contain an @ sign? Obvioiusly email is incorrect if it doesn't have an @ sign
4) Can you search for record if it DOESN'T contain a Period (.) because all emails should have a period as well as the @ sign.
If we are in Excel, then you could try this formula

<b>email check</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Arial,Arial; font-size:8pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:223px;" /><col style="width:201px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">abc@def.com</td><td style="font-size:10pt; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">abc@def..com</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Error</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">abc@def,com.uk</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Error</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">qwerty@abc.net</td><td style="font-size:10pt; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">name@abc@com.fr</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Error</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">nameatgmail.com</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Error</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">something@somewhere.cm</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Error</td></tr><tr style="height:21px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">forgot@anydots</td><td style="font-size:10pt; ">Error</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >B2</td><td >=IF(OR<span style=' color:008000; '>(AGGREGATE<span style=' color:#0000ff; '>(15,6,SEARCH<span style=' color:#ff0000; '>({",","..",".cm","@*@"},A2&",")</span>,1)</span><=LEN<span style=' color:#0000ff; '>(A2)</span>,COUNT<span style=' color:#0000ff; '>(FIND<span style=' color:#ff0000; '>({"@","."},A2)</span>)</span><2)</span>,"Error","")</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back