Formula not calculating

sriche01

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

Lately I have been having certain formulas fail to calculate (yes, I AM on automatic calculation ;)). On November 2, it was a simple =Today() function that hadn't updated since October 31. Hitting calculate or refresh did nothing. Only when I entered the formula for editing, then typing enter would it update. Today that function is working fine, but I have another formula involving indirect and row functions that behave the same way. That function reads

=INDIRECT("v"&ROW()-($U3323-1))

This is in a long list of repeating sets of 12 rows where the top cell in column v of each set is a designator and column U has numbers 1-12 to indicate the position of each row within the set. The above formula allows me to type a designating phrase such as "front" or "back" in the first row of a set and each cell within that set in rows 2-12 of column v calculates to the same phrase.

Normally it works great, but today I have to edit each formula to get it to calculate, as in, put my cursor in the formula bar and hit enter. then it will calculate.

Has anyone else had this frustrating experience? Again, please don't suggest I change to automatic calculation... already there. :)

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hello there. You don't say which version of Excel you are using, but I have had difficulties in the past where I have had several workbooks open at once, and excel seems to 'run out of steam', and stop calculating. Closing and reopening excel with fewer workbooks worked for me.

Upvote 0
Hello there. You don't say which version of Excel you are using, but I have had difficulties in the past where I have had several workbooks open at once, and excel seems to 'run out of steam', and stop calculating. Closing and reopening excel with fewer workbooks worked for me.

Thanks for the response. I am running Office 365 so I guess the most recent version. This file is the only excel file open, though I am running two windows. It is a large file over 18 mb. And it is a shared file on a onedrive account, though no other users are currently accessing it.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I found a work around. If I enter into formula editing and hit enter, the formula calculates (as I stated above.) Since I have like 10000 lines, it wasn't practical to do that one by one. However, once I do that on one cell, I can copy it to the rest and they begin calculating every time a change is made. Why? I don't know. But I have my program back...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back