Array Formula Question - Condition An Array by Itself

grant1377

Hello! I'm trying to solve the following issue using an array formula but I'm struggling. I'm fairly versed with arrays but can't figure this out. Thank you in advance for the help!

Using the example below, I'd like to pull the max number associated with each individual text in the first column. E.g., 'Test 1' would be 9, 'Test 2' 8, and 'Test 3' 6. Then I'd like to return the max of that, which would be 9.

Is this possible using one single array formula? There are two paths that I thought could work to solve this, but I'm struggling to figure out how to use an array and then qualify that array by the array itself, if that makes sense. I'm struggling to even figure out what to search online to help find info on this.

For example, the formula below would work but only calculates the total for the text in A2, 'Test 1'. I essentially need a formula so that the array becomes: =max(sums Test 1,sums Test 1,sums test 2,sums test 2,sums test 3), and then =max(9,9,8,6).

=Sum((A2:A6)=A2)*(B2:B6))

AB
Test 15
Test 14
Test 21
Test 27
Test 36

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you! :pray:

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
The CSE formula =MAX(SUMIF(A1:A5,A1:A5,B1:B5)) will give you the max of Test1 total, Test2 total, Test3 total.

To convert that Test1, Test2, or Test 3
=INDEX(A1:A5, MATCH(MAX(SUMIF(A1:A5,A1:A5,B1:B5)),SUMIF(A1:A5,A1:A5,B1:B5),0), 1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back