Name manager - adding data manually as reference

Metty

Hello,

Normally we create named ranges by referring to excel lists - we select the data range that is located in certain cells in worksheets.

I tried to create named ranges by manually adding data to "refer to" part. But it didn't work - all the data that I added appeared in one cell, so not as a list.

I would like to know if there a way for adding data manually to "refer to" part and then use this list as named range whenever we need.

We can do it when we create custom lists, but these lists have no name. That's why I need named range for using it in different formulas.

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
It will depend on how you want to use the names, but you can create arrays by enclosing the data in {}, so for example, you could use:

={1,2,3,4,5}

as the refers to, or for text:

={"Item1","Item2","Item3"}

Note that the quotes go round each item, not around the whole thing.

Upvote 0
It might work if you set the the 'refers to ' range as an array constant, I haven't tried this so no guarantee. It looks like you're trying to make something simple more complicated than it needs to be.

={"Item1","Item2","item3"}

Then refer to it with an index formula,

=INDEX(list_name,ROWS(A$1:A1))

Upvote 0
I tried this version, but it didn't work. Whenever I use the name, it's only the first item of the list that appears and when I drag it, it is repeated.

It will depend on how you want to use the names, but you can create arrays by enclosing the data in {}, so for example, you could use:

={1,2,3,4,5}

as the refers to, or for text:

={"Item1","Item2","Item3"}

Note that the quotes go round each item, not around the whole thing.

Upvote 0
The problem with INDEX is that, it refers to existing list. I don't want to have lists in my worksheet, I want to have it only inside the name.

It might work if you set the the 'refers to ' range as an array constant, I haven't tried this so no guarantee. It looks like you're trying to make something simple more complicated than it needs to be.

={"Item1","Item2","item3"}

Then refer to it with an index formula,

=INDEX(list_name,ROWS(A$1:A1))

Upvote 0
Yes, you'll need to wrap it in INDEX as mentioned (that does not require you to use ranges, it works with arrays too).

Upvote 0
Have you actually tried what Jason suggested? The list is in the name, not in a sheet.

Upvote 0
You must have done something different to what he suggested then.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have just found the difference between my and his version, and it's ok now.

But as he said, it is now more complicated than it needs to be :)

I needed this function for simplifying my work with the fixed data that I use frequently without having lists in my sheets.

Thank you

You must have done something different to what he suggested then.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back