Excel 2010 formula to look up duplicates so I can contra them off

PierremontQuaker03

Hi, first of all thank you for looking at this post.

I have started a new job and am wanting to improve the speedof the month end process.
I have to download the information from Excel from thenominal ledger to review (approx. 3000 lines) some of the values are the same butare pluses and negatives – but they should have the same reference text in anothercell on that line, as when I post the journal to move stuff out I use the samereference.
So I am looking at a formula that looks for duplicates by doing two checks onone line:

• An absolute value in one cell and
  • Match text in another cell
If a line meets those conditions I know it can be a contraand I can filter on the contra’s to remove them.
At the moment this is done manually.
I am not sure whether a Vlookup, Match or Duplicate formulacan be done to do this?
Any ideas? I am using Excel 2010 If anything is unclear let me know.

Actually while writing this post I have realised that the valueit looks up does not have to be the absolute value as I can create another columnwith the absolute values in and so I could potentially do a Concatenateformulae combining the two cells of the number and text I am looking up and then check for a duplicateof this concatenate row?? Does this sound feasible?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Assuming references in column A and amounts in column B, try this formula

=COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,B:B,-B2)

This should give you a count of 1 for each record that has a positive amount and a corresponding negative amount. Rows that don't match up will show a count of 0.

Upvote 0
Assuming references in column A and amounts in column B, try this formula

=COUNTIFS(A:A,A2,B:B,-B2)

This should give you a count of 1 for each record that has a positive amount and a corresponding negative amount. Rows that don't match up will show a count of 0.

That's great thank you, that gives me something to work with and will save me a lot of time - much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back