Calculation issues.

Newbienew

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am having a hell of an issue that i can not figure out. So I have 6 teams with three months of data I need to track. Each team has a goal they need to achieve each month based on how many people are on that team. This goal changes with the number of people on the team. This is at the bottom of each team. The number of what they need to get for the three months is to the right of that highlighted in RED. But here is where my issue springs up. The numbers for all three months do not add up. 15+15+8=38 but I get 39

When I add a name on the team below (Purple) the top team the number changes to 37. This happens with all the teams except for the last one for some reason.

I can not figure out what is going on but i have added the spreadsheet so it can be seen for yourself. Thank you for your help in advance.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1vv39il6ogo8iw/NOT ADDING UP.xlsx?dl=0

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
It is because your cells are formatted to not show the decimal spaces, your values are actually...
and

giving a total of

also formatted to no decimal places so will round up visually to 39

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there a way to correct this? I attempted to change the format but get the same results.
Added why is it when i ad a name to another team the number changes to a lower number?

Upvote 0
I attempted to change the format but get the same results.

Changing the format does not change the underlying number (think of it like putting a filter over a picture, how you perceive it changes but it doesn't alter the actual picture).

The simple way is to use Round i.e. for cell D22 change the formula to =ROUND(G153,0) and do the same for E22 and F22 if you want the result to be 38.

Btw, correct is not the right term to use as Excel was giving the correct answer with the data you had there.

As for your other question upload what you have done as I haven't looked at the rest of your spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I have done was try the different formattings, nothing major was done. I am attempting to use your method now.

Upvote 0
All I have done was try the different formattings, nothing major was done

You must have done changed something or the below question doesn't make any sense ;)

why is it when i ad a name to another team the number changes to a lower number?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh...ok. So based of the original spreadsheet I sent, putting a name in the second teams box changes the first teams number to 37 and not 39. This is what i was referring to. I don't understand how the team below would affect the the sum of the team aboves total sum of the three months. If you give it a try it might make what i am saying a better clearer. I hope.

I would seem that I will have to do the round for all the cells for it work. I am almost finish and will send a link shortly. Thank you for your help

Upvote 0
It will work for the sum part.
If you want to see why the rest is affected click E22 then on the formulas tab click trace precedents, then when you have followed the arrows, clicking the cell the arrow points to at each stage click trace precedents until you get to k151 then add a team and you will see what sums affect it (remembering how you have the cells formatted).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back