Macro for delimited data

swarmo

Hi all,

I am absolutely stumped on how to solve this challenge with a macro.

I have software providing me with multiple rows of data, with all the data relating to a particular job placed in a single cell, separated by a semi-colon.
An example is below.

1 x Primsal 7w B22WWB (outdoor);3 x Ecobulb 12w Outdoor Reflector (outdoor);2 x Primsal 7w E27WWB (outdoor);3 x Ecobulb 8w Indoor Reflector (allbr);2 x Ecomatters E14 Candle (allbr);6 x Primsal 7w E27WWB (lounge);5 x Primsal 7w B22WWB (lounge);4 x Primsal 7w B22WWB (allbr);3 x Primsal 7w E27WWB (allbr);2 x Ecobulb 8w Indoor Reflector (lounge);1 x Primsal 7w B22WWB (laundry);

<tbody>
</tbody>

I basically need to develop a macro that will count the quantities of each product, relating to that particular job. Often the same product is listed with a different quantity multiple times within the same cell. This is because the same product was installed in a different room in that job.

Products that are possible are as follows.

Primsal 7w B22WWB
Primsal 7w E27WWB
Primsal 7w B22CWB
Primsal 7w E27CWB
Ecomatters E14 Candle
Ecomatters B15 Candle
Ecobulb 8w Indoor Reflector
Ecobulb 12w Outdoor Reflector
Ecomatters-90E2
Ecomatters 5w GU10

<tbody>
</tbody>

The job data cells start at P2 of the spreadsheet and the rows are dependent on the number of jobs listed within the spreadsheet.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
May be
Code:
Sub t2()
    Dim a As Variant
    x = Split(Range("p2"), ";")
    ReDim a(1 To UBound(x))
    For i = 0 To UBound(x) - 1
        a(i + 1) = Trim(Mid(Mid(x(i), WorksheetFunction.Find("x", x(i)) + 1, 255), 1, _
                            Len(Mid(x(i), WorksheetFunction.Find("x", x(i)) + 1, 255)) - Len(Mid(Mid(x(i), _
                             WorksheetFunction.Find("x", x(i)) + 1, 255), WorksheetFunction.Find("(", Mid(x(i), _
                             WorksheetFunction.Find("x", x(i)) + 1, 255)), 255)) - 1))
    Next i
    Range("p2").Offset(, 1).Resize(UBound(a)) = Application.Transpose(a)
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Av8oW8_xzD3ErEjW4xYWe_tVfF96?e=ohDLyA

Code:
Sub GetProducts()
    Dim Prod As Variant, x As Long, i As Long, j As Long, Itm As Variant, Lmp As Variant
    Columns(2).ClearContents
    For x = 2 To Cells(Rows.Count, "P").End(3).Row
        Prod = Split(Cells(x, "P"), ";")
        For i = 0 To UBound(Prod) - 1
            For j = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(3).Row
                Itm = Split(Prod(i), "x")
                Lmp = Split(Itm(1), "(")
                If Mid(Lmp(0), 2, Len(Lmp(0)) - 2) = Cells(j, 1) Then
                    Cells(j, 2) = Cells(j, 2) + CLng(Itm(0))
                End If
            Next
        Next
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.

I have just realised that I need to be able to filter the data to be able to calculate sales commissions and installer commissions for each row.

I also discovered that the job data starts in Q2, not P2.

Are you able to change the coding so that dependent on a list of products, product columns will be made to the right of Q (In case I add or remove products in the future).
Then for each row, the product columns will be populated with the total quantities from the data in Q. This way I can run a simple filter and see how many lamps the sales and installers should be paid for each job.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Code:
Sub t2()
    Dim a As Variant
    Dim fun As String
   Dim WF As WorksheetFunction
Set WF = Application.WorksheetFunction
    x = Split(Range("Q2"), ";")
    ReDim a(1 To UBound(x), 1 To 2)
    For i = 0 To UBound(x) - 1
        a(i + 1, 1) = Trim(Mid(Mid(x(i), WF.Find("x", x(i)) + 1, 255), 1, _
                            Len(Mid(x(i), WF.Find("x", x(i)) + 1, 255)) - Len(Mid(Mid(x(i), _
                             WF.Find("x", x(i)) + 1, 255), WF.Find("(", Mid(x(i), _
                             WF.Find("x", x(i)) + 1, 255)), 255)) - 1))
           a(i + 1, 2) = Left(x(i), WF.Find("x", x(i)) - 2)
    Next i
    Range("Q2").Offset(, 1).Resize(UBound(a), 2) = a
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks Mohadin,

I need some more help.

I have uploaded a link to a sample Data Sheet that I am referencing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhr639ubp0e8ioc/Data Sheet.xlsx?dl=0

It has a sheet named 'Products', where all products will be listed. These product names need to be written to the 'Data Sheet' columns, from R1 onwards.
The code will then go through the data in Q2 and calculate the total quantities and place them in the relevant product columns. Then proceed to do this for the remaining rows.
This way I can create filters for each job, based on sales staff and installers.

Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
Hi, swarmo
Try this:

Code:
[FONT=Lucida Console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] a1114629a()
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] i [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR], j [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR], n [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] c [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] tx [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]String[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] va, vb, vc, ary
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] d [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Object[/COLOR]

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Sheets([COLOR=Darkcyan]"Data"[/COLOR]).Activate

[COLOR=Royalblue]With[/COLOR] Sheets([COLOR=Darkcyan]"Products"[/COLOR])
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] c = .Range([COLOR=Darkcyan]"A1"[/COLOR], .Cells(.Rows.Count, [COLOR=Darkcyan]"A"[/COLOR]).[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR](xlUp))
[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]With[/COLOR]

vb = c.Value
    c.Copy
    Range([COLOR=Darkcyan]"R1"[/COLOR]).PasteSpecial Transpose:=True

n = Range([COLOR=Darkcyan]"Q"[/COLOR] & Rows.Count).[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR](xlUp).Row
    [COLOR=Royalblue]ReDim[/COLOR] va([COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] n - [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]UBound[/COLOR](vb, [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR]))
    vc = Range([COLOR=Darkcyan]"Q2:Q"[/COLOR] & n).Value

[COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] d = CreateObject([COLOR=Darkcyan]"scripting.dictionary"[/COLOR])
    d.CompareMode = vbTextCompare

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] j = [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]UBound[/COLOR](vc, [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR])

tx = Replace(vc(j, [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=Darkcyan]");"[/COLOR], [COLOR=Darkcyan]" x "[/COLOR])
    tx = Replace(tx, [COLOR=Darkcyan]" ("[/COLOR], [COLOR=Darkcyan]" x "[/COLOR])
    ary = Split(tx, [COLOR=Darkcyan]" x "[/COLOR])

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] i = [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]UBound[/COLOR](ary) [COLOR=Royalblue]Step[/COLOR] [COLOR=Brown]3[/COLOR]
        d(ary(i)) = d(ary(i)) + [COLOR=Royalblue]CLng[/COLOR](ary(i - [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR]))
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] i = [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]UBound[/COLOR](vb, [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR])
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d.Exists(vb(i, [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR])) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] va(j, i) = d(vb(i, [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR]))

d.RemoveAll

Range([COLOR=Darkcyan]"R2"[/COLOR]).Resize([COLOR=Royalblue]UBound[/COLOR](va, [COLOR=Brown]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=Royalblue]UBound[/COLOR](va, [COLOR=Brown]2[/COLOR])) = va
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
You're welcome, glad to help, & thanks for the feedback.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorie1693

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back