Laptops and large Excel files

PierremontQuaker03

Hi,
I have started a new job which is heavily excel driven, I have encountered a few laptop issues with speed but mainly excel files failing as it "does not have enough resources" to complete the actions - so I have to close down Excel, re-boot etc etc
When I look at the spec of my laptop it is 4.00 GB , yet I have checked others in the accounts team and they all have 8.00 GB.
I have spoken to the IT dept and they have said that my laptop is perfectly fine to do my job and that it is the graphics in the Excel files I am using (I did not create them) that are causing the issue. I am not too sure whether they are trying to fob me off or whether I should push harder for a new one or to increase the RAM size to 8.00 GB (they said excel files over 2GB are blocked so 4GB is more than enough). How do I reduce the graphics on an excel file - or go about reducing its size etc etc.
Many thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
What is the actual file size?

While graphics (embedded images) might inflate the size of the file, I doubt that they should affect performance too much.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Laptop W10
Today I use Excel 365 64 Bit - 6 Gh Ram
Previously I had problems Memory Excel 2013 - 4Gh Ram

Upvote 0
Maybe an office installation issue... there can be a 32 or 64 bit installation. To reduce the file size, zip the file then unzip it. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
This could be worth a read. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/excel/clean-workbook-less-memory

You might find that there is not one specific thing causing the problem, but an accumulation of many small things.

Simple test would be to try the same file on a different laptop with more than 4GB and see if you run into issues, if it does then go back to your IT dept and inform them of this.

18MB is big for an excel workbook, but I don't think that it is big enough to be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back