Formatting date question ....

sobeitjedi

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I have data in columns G & H which is 13/11/2019 (ie, 13th November 2019)

I want this date to display as 2019/11/13

When I formal cells > custom and enter the format as yyyy/mm/dd, this looks good. I save (as csv) and reopen the file, but it reverts back to it's original formatting? How do I resolve?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
If you open the csv file in a text editor, you should see the dates in yyyy/mm/dd format.
The problem comes when you open in Xl it will convert the dates to your standard date format.
You can get round that by importing the file & setting your preferences on page 3 of the Wizard

Upvote 0
In that case when PQ loads, just select "Load" & you will have the data in the right format, or you will need to use the "Legacy" version.
In File > Options > Data > check "From text (legacy)" > OK. You should then be able to select that from the ribbon.

Upvote 0
In that case when PQ loads, just select "Load" & you will have the data in the right format, or you will need to use the "Legacy" version. - Sorry, the date imported in the original format
In File > Options > Data > check "From text (legacy)" > OK. You should then be able to select that from the ribbon. - still didn't open the traditional wizard.

Infuriating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you open the csv in a text editor & check that the dates were in the correct format?

Upvote 0
Ok, having set up the legacy import, on the data tab in "Get & transform" section, there should be "Get Data". Select that & then from the dropdown, select "Legacy wizards" then "From text"
That should open the old import wizard.

However if I open a csv using PQ the dates come-in as yyyy/mm/dd.

Upvote 0
If you click on "Get data" on the Xl ribbon, you should get an on option called "Legacy Wizards", select that followed by "From Text".
That should load the old style import wizard.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back