POSITIONPOSITIONTOTAL HOURS
AMCAMC8

<tbody>
</tbody>
IF POSITION AMC EQUALS 4 HOURS

HOW DO I GET EXCEL TO DO THIS FOR ME?

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Welcome to the Board.

I think you may be looking for something like:

Book1
ABCD
1PositionPositionTotal hours
2AMCAMC8
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2=4*COUNTIF(A2:B2,"AMC")

This can be improved so that you have a table of different values for AMC and hours, but this would be a starting point.

Upvote 0
Maybe something like this
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:80.79px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td></tr><tr style="height:33px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; ">Position</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; ">Position</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; "> </td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; ">Total hours</td><td > </td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; ">Position</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; ">Value</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; ">AMC</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; ">AMC</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; "> </td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; text-align:right; ">8</td><td > </td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Verdana; font-size:9pt; ">AMC</td><td style="text-align:right; ">4</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >D2</td><td >=VLOOKUP(A2,$F$2:$G$4,2,0)+VLOOKUP(B2,$F$2:$G$4,2,0)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
Thanks Eric that was it So happy you could help me! but I have one more question. How would I write the formula if I wanted C2 to read PMC and also equal 4 in the same row? so now its looking for amc's and pmc's equaling 4?

Upvote 0
Hi @CHEFCGARDNER, If you allow me and with respect for Eric, I will answer.

Could be like this:

=4*SUM(COUNTIF(A2:C2,{"AMC";"PMC"}))

-------------------------------------------------------
I have a couple of doubts.

But what if PMC had a value other than 4?

Could be like this:

{=SUM(IFERROR(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2:C2,"AMC",4),"PMC",3)+0,0))}

Array formulas
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself.

-------------------------------------------------------
Or if you are going to have more words?

Again I suggest a table of equivalences:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:80.79px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /><col style="width:76.04px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td><td >F</td><td >G</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >Position</td><td >Position</td><td >Position</td><td >Total hours</td><td > </td><td >Position</td><td >Value</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >AMC</td><td >BMC</td><td >PMC</td><td style="text-align:right; ">13</td><td > </td><td >AMC</td><td style="text-align:right; ">4</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >PMC</td><td style="text-align:right; ">3</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td >BMC</td><td style="text-align:right; ">6</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b></b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Array Formula</td></tr><tr><td >D2</td><td >{=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A2:C2,F2:F4)),G2:G4))}</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Array formulas
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself.

Upvote 0
Dante's adaptation of my original formula looks like it does what you want. He also has a very good point in that it might be a good idea to make a table with the values. It's much easier to change a table than a formula. And if someone comes along later, they don't have to wonder if the hardcoded 4 means hours, or points, or a column number, etc. Here's a non-array version of his D2 formula that reads the table:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(F2:F4,A2:C2,G2:G4))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back