Stupid Scientific Category

t2true

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
This whole scientific non-sense that Excel defaults to for some numbers is quite annoying.

Background:
I have a list of phone extensions from a PBX. The list includes the port number to which each extension is associated. The following is an example of some of the ports: 01E0205, 01E0713, 01E0916, etc. (I can have up to 3800 ports that look like that.)
For every one of the ports that looks like that, Excel outputs it as 1E+205, 1E+713, 1E+916, etc and change the category to Scientific.

[I don't know how to embed the spreadsheet into the post.]

How can I get Excel to ignore that format/style/category and output it how it needs to be - 01E0205, 01E0713, 01E0916, etc?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I assume you want put ports into the column so before paste set column format to TEXT then paste

Upvote 0
I assume you want put ports into the column so before paste set column format to TEXT then paste

The data is imported into the spreadsheet by a report from the system. I don't copy/paste anything.

Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/1296403-stupid-scientific-category.html#post5229131

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
During the EXPORT process, is their a choice to save the file?
If so, during the save, is there an option to use a different format?

Exporting to Excel (xls, xlsx) is different than Importing by Excel.

Your problem is not unique and does source partly from Excel and partly from the programmers of the application being exported from.
Some use an export method of CSV and then the file is Opened into Excel. CSV is fine if the file is IMPORTED into Excel where you can control the data types.

For my company's ERP we had to fight with our IT to change the Export to force the keeping of Text. They used a clumsy method, but it worked. All that is needed is to precede the text with a single apostrophe. our IT set it up as ="text"

Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/1296403-stupid-scientific-category.html#post5229131

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

WHOOPS! Sorry about that. Yes, I did post this question in another forum here. I wasn't aware it would cross-reference (cross-post) the other forum. Other forum types that I use don't do that.

Upvote 0
During the EXPORT process, is their a choice to save the file?
If so, during the save, is there an option to use a different format?

Exporting to Excel (xls, xlsx) is different than Importing by Excel.

Your problem is not unique and does source partly from Excel and partly from the programmers of the application being exported from.
Some use an export method of CSV and then the file is Opened into Excel. CSV is fine if the file is IMPORTED into Excel where you can control the data types.

For my company's ERP we had to fight with our IT to change the Export to force the keeping of Text. They used a clumsy method, but it worked. All that is needed is to precede the text with a single apostrophe. our IT set it up as ="text"

The file format used by the system is .csv. I am not able to modify any of the data during the export, so I can't add ="text" to it. I have used the apostrophe method before. But, it involves me finding each cell and modifying it individually to add the apostrophe.
I also tried the data import wizard in Excel (suggested by another user) to change the category to text. That didn't work either.

Upvote 0
When importing the csv, on page 3 of the wizard did you select the relevant column in the data preview section & then select the "Text" option above?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back