Advanced Filter query - What are the rules with editing the extract?

slack7639

Board Regular

Previously, I have done an Advanced Filter query, with the Extract in the same Workbook, and:
1.) Sorted the Extract
2.) Made some changes to the Extract

Sometimes this had a bad effect: With whatever change I made, it did the same thing to the rows above and below it - unwanted changes

Other times: There was no effect that I noticed

So, at the moment, I just know that it's not a good idea to change data within the extract,
but I'm not sure why
and, I'm not sure why I can change data in some cases.

I was wondering, what are the rules for making changes in the Advanced Filter extract? Is there a page that explains it somewhere?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Thanks! Lots of info on it . . . still, I don't see any place that talks about how you don't want to sort the Extract, or update it, because that will mess up your whole worksheet.

I have a Worksheet in which I keep my bookmarks, around 24,000 rows . . . My work around was:
1.) Create a duplicate of the Worksheet, to keep the format, and delete all of the rows
2.) Do my Advanced filter
3.) Copy the Extract over to the other worksheet, and manipulate the data there, where I can Sort

So, that's good if I'm just trying to find something.

But if I want to edit something, I have to do that in the second worksheet, find it in my main worksheet, and copy and paste it back to there.

Expected behavior would be that I could Sort and Edit the Extract, Clear the filter, and everything is done - but, reality is that it will make 50 rows above and below what you changed, change to the change you made. What's that about? I don't see anything on that. Kind of dangerous that the tutorial doesn't say anything about this. Fortunately, I had a backup copy on a clone of my HD, and was able to fix it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back