No Joy with conditional formatting

kojak43

I have a column of dates. I also have a ststus column showing if the job is "C" (completed) or "A" (active). I compare the column of dates to the system date located in cell $J$1. If any of the dates in the column are less than $J$1, the date becomes bold and Red on a yellow field, unless, there is a "C" in the status column.
I wrote a conditional formating formula that said =IF(M6:M100,"C") No change to text.
I added another that read "Cell was less than $J$1" Change text to Bold Red w/ yellow field.
When the system date changes to greater than that cell, ALL changes to Bold Red, including the exempted "C" items.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
On 2002-03-04 06:57, kojak43 wrote:
I have a column of dates. I also have a ststus column showing if the job is "C" (completed) or "A" (active). I compare the column of dates to the system date located in cell $J$1. If any of the dates in the column are less than $J$1, the date becomes bold and Red on a yellow field, unless, there is a "C" in the status column.
I wrote a conditional formating formula that said =IF(M6:M100,"C") No change to text.
I added another that read "Cell was less than $J$1" Change text to Bold Red w/ yellow field.
When the system date changes to greater than that cell, ALL changes to Bold Red, including the exempted "C" items.

Any help would be appreciated.

Trying to figure out of what you've done so far is not easy.

M houses apparently the status values.

I'll just assume that the dates of interest are in L from L6 on.

Select L6:L100.
Activate Format|Conditional Formatting.
Choose Formula Is for Condition 1.
Enter in the formula box:

=AND(L6<$J$1,M6<>"C")

Activate Format.
Set up "bold and Red on a yellow field" as formatting on the Font and Patternss tab.
Click OK, OK.

Hope this is what you want.

Upvote 0
You need to use two conditional formats in the correct order.
First set a condition that checks the status column for a value of C and apply no formatting. Then set the second condition to check the date against yout system date and format to turn the date Red when desired.

Upvote 0
Sorry it was not easy to understand my problem, however, your solution nailed it!

I will have to research what AND means as part of your formula, but it works fine.

Thanks to you both, (I added another condtion where there is no data, the column is blank) I got it where I want it!

Thanks
K

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back