multiple rows as 1 record in a list/database

G

Is it possible to assign multiple rows as a single record in a Excel list? Real world issue: I have a date (promotion period), on that date there are several items on promotion. The date is the first column in the list. I need the list filterable by date and don't want to have to re-enter the date for each row (or each item on promo under a given date). The users of the form that enters data to the list will simply get confused having to type the date over and over for each item on a particular promotion period. I hope I made this question understandable! Thanks

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Not sure what you mean by more columns.. basically there are blank cells under the date column where the multiple items are listed.. so there may be something in the date colum every 5 rows or so.. see what I mean?

Upvote 0
ok here goes.. there are 15 total items. During a year these items are on off and on promotion a week at a time. The list needs to be organzied by date(which is actually "week of"). On a given date any combination of the 15 items can be on promotion. The user fills out a form that adds to the list based on a week. Here goes:
Week of - Item # - Price - Cost - Profit %
3/1 - 0101 - 2.99 - 1.50 - x%
- 0102 - 3.99 - 1.50 - x%
- 0108 - 4.99 - 1.50 - x%
3/7 - 0001 - 2.99 - 1.50 - x%
- 0105 - 3.99 - 1.50 - x%
ect... if there is a better way to do this I am all ears.. I just don't want to have to carry the date down every item ie - I would like 3/1 and all the items under it to be a single record. 3/7 starts a new record etc.. thanks..

Upvote 0
Suppose column A contains your promotional date beginning at row 2. Create an new date field ('Date2'?) in column C. Enter the formula, =IF(A2,A2,C1), into C2 and copy down for all data rows. Filter on column C.

Upvote 0
ok - I think that works good enough- at least it stops the user from having to repeat the date in the form.. thanks!

Upvote 0
uhoh - now I have to figure out how to include that formula in the records that are added by the form!!! The macro I was planning was going to do an "EndDown" to get to the bottom then add the data from the form :( any help?

Upvote 0
Excel's built-in Data form (see the Data | Form... menu command) already handles the replication of the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back