referencing a file from a value in a cell

immyjimmy

Greetings all,

I have a "To Do" list in a workbook that has a sales number in column A and a customer name in column C. In column R, I have the following formula:
=$A1&" "&$C1
which yeilds a value something like "12345 Smith"

Now what makes this important is that in a directory on a network drive, another user has a series of workbooks with data I need to access. The path is:
T:\SALES\Equipment List\Current Equipment Lists

So I have an INDEX/MATCH formula which takes data from column B and retrieves a corresponding value. I have the formula working if I reference the exact path and file. But I need it to reference based on the file name that changes based on what row it's on. Something like this;

=INDEX('T:\SALES\Equipment List\Current Equipment Lists\[12345 Smith.XLS]Equipment List'!$D$9:$D$1000,MATCH($B1,'T:\SALES\Equipment List\Current Equipment Lists\[12345 Smith.XLS]Equipment List'!$E$9:$E$1000,0))

To:
=INDEX("'T:\SALES\Equipment List\Current Equipment Lists\["&R1&".XLS]Equipment List'"!$D$9:$D$1000,MATCH($B1,"'T:\SALES\Equipment List\Current Equipment Lists\["&R1&"]Equipment List"'!$E$9:$E$1000,0))

Theoretically, I could put those whole path in a formula if that would be easier.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Bump...

How about something like:
=INDEX((($S1)&"!")&$D$9:$D$1000,MATCH($B1,(($S1)&"!")&$E$9:$E$1000,0))

where S1 is a concatenation of the entire path. The problem with this version is that I get a #VALUE error.

Upvote 0
Hey Jim,

You won't be able to use the entire path unless you use the INDIRECT.EXT function - which I believe is in the morefunc.xll add-in. And even that has it's limitations. You can reference the workbook (no path) with the INDIRECT. Also, even then, INDIRECT cannot handle 3-D array's. It's a pain, and MS should change it, as it's been mentioned quite a many times, but they haven't.

There are some workarounds that you can do though.

Method 1:

This UDF written by Harlan Grove (Pull) will open a seperate instance of a workbook in which to extract data from.

<font face=Tahoma New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> Pull(xref <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'inspired by Bob Phillips and Laurent Longre</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'but written by Harlan Grove</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'-----------------------------------------------------------------</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Copyright (c) 2003 Harlan Grove.</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'This code is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License,</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'or (at your option) any later version.</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'-----------------------------------------------------------------</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> xlapp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Object</SPAN>, xlwb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Workbook
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> b <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, r <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, n <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>
    Pull = Evaluate(xref)
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">CStr</SPAN>(Pull) = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">CStr</SPAN>(CVErr(xlErrRef)) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> CleanUp   <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'immediate clean-up at this point</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> xlapp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> xlwb = xlapp.Workbooks.Add <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'needed by .ExecuteExcel4Macro</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'now clean-up can wait</SPAN>
        n = InStr(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN>Str(1, xref, "]") + 1, xref, "!")
        b = Mid(xref, 1, n)
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> r = xlwb.Sheets(1).Range(Mid(xref, n + 1))
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> r <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
            Pull = xlapp.ExecuteExcel4Macro(xref)
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c In r
                c.Value = xlapp.ExecuteExcel4Macro(b & c.Address(1, 1, xlR1C1))
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c
            Pull = r.Value
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
CleanUp:
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> xlwb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> xlwb.Close 0
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> xlapp <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> xlapp.Quit
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> xlapp = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN>
</FONT>

An explanation of it's use can be found here.

J-Walk also has a GetValue method for extracting data from closed workbooks found here.

Method 2:

Download/install the morefunc.xll add-in and make use of the INDIRECT.EXT function. †
Add-in found here.

Method 3:

Use an SQL.REQUEST, of which I am unfamiliar, but is laid out here. Instructions provided at site and with add-in.

Method 4:

Use an INDEX/MATCH combo (or othe suitable function desired) and type your formula in like this ...

Code:
="=INDEX('C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\Desktop\[12346 Jones.xls]Sheet1'!D9:E1000,match(r3,'C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\Desktop\[12346 Jones.xls]Sheet1'!E9:E1000),1)"

Note that I have changed the path for testing purposes. Copy the cell with the formula in it, then paste special --> values, making the value/formula static.
Next do a Find/Replace on that cell. Find = and Replace with = . (Sounds redundant, but it works.) The bad side to this is it takes up a lot of memory.

† Doesn't work with Defined Names of closed workbooks; and apparently does not work on all systems. Test first.

Upvote 0
immyjimmy said:
Appearantly, doing this formula-magically is next to impossible. But in VBA, the following topic may be of use to future searchers:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=123811

HTH,
Jim

Hello Jim,

The formula option seems to work just fine for me. Fairly quick and painless also. Did you follow the steps exactly? Anyway, it is a non-vba working solution.

Note: credits of the above Methods do not go to me (I wish).

Upvote 0
Zack,

Yes, the formula works fine. But to use it, I have to configure it to a specific file. I couldn't "indirect()" it or "value()" it. What I wanted (and made a VBA solution for) was to concatenate the sales order number in cell A3 and the customer name in cell A1 to create the format that our purchasing agent uses for her equipment list workbooks. One to a customer order... I just wrote a macro to take the values of the cells and enter the formula with the variable name inserted in the right place. Now it looks up the data in the purchasers directory and returns the answer I needed. Namely whether or not a part number has been released, thereby flagging that engineering will be putting no more time into that portion of the project. The formula solutions I found either needed a non-variable name, or that the file I was looking in be open. Neither of these scenarios was acceptable and VBA works. So here's what I went with.

Sub To_Do_List_1()
Dim Sales_Number As String
Dim Sales_Name As String
Dim File_Name As String
Sales_Number = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A3")
Sales_Name = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")
File_Name = Sales_Number & " " & Sales_Name
Range("Q3").Select
ActiveCell.Value = "=INDEX('T:\SALES\Equipment List\Current Equipment Lists\[" & File_Name & ".XLS]Equipment List'!$D$9:$D$1000,MATCH($B2,'T:\SALES\Equipment List\Current Equipment Lists\[" & File_Name & ".XLS]Equipment List'!$E$9:$E$1000,0))"
'copy this formula along with others already in place...
Range("M4:Q4").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("M5:Q5").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

Range("O5:P5").Select
Selection.Copy
Selection.End(xlDown).Select
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Range("A1:B1").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

Range("M5:Q5").Select
ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Select
Selection.End(xlToLeft).Select
ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 3).Range("A1:B1").Select
Selection.Copy
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Range("A1:B1").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste

Range("A3").Select
End Sub

It seems to work...

Thanks,
Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back