Tab Characters replace and extract e-mail from field

steven H

Board Regular
I have imported an outlook folder into excel in order to attempt to extract the e-mail addresses from within the subject body of the e-mail (they have been bounced due to the wrong addresses).

I have attempted unsuccessfully (with the help of guys on the board) to extract them.
My problem is is that within the message body (which forms one excel field) is a garbled mess seperated by what i beleive are tab characters(they appear as squares when the field is highlighted) The e-mail addresses have this 'tab' character either side. I beleive with the previous help I have received I can extract the e-mail addresses if i can make these characters into one recognisable by excel however find replace does not work as the character does not appear within the find character set. Unfortunately If i use the clean function the address becomes part of a string of characters with no consistent deliminaters either side. Any ideas? as I am really struggling with this.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I have discovered the tab character is alt 10 however using find and replace will not work, get the message that the character cannot be found. Ay ideas

Upvote 0
I guess this is a continuation of:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=11744&forum=2

Can't quite see the problem - why doesn't text to cols work??

See the worksheet simulation for the example you gave. It uses text to column with the pipe as the delimiter & "treat consectutive delimiters as one' selected.
Book2
ABCDEF
1|steven||steve@steve.co.uk||vvv|ddd|stevensteve@steve.co.ukvvvddd

so we have the email address separated out - where's the problem??

Paddy

Upvote 0
Paddy you are right this is a continuation from my previous post , i have established i can seperate the field out using text to columns using the tab symbol as the deliminator. I dont know why text to columns wont work as I can only get it to fill in the C2 column as per your example, is there something I have missed?
This message was edited by steven H on 2002-06-27 02:32
This message was edited by steven H on 2002-06-27 02:34

Upvote 0
If you're still having a problem, download the html add-in (see link at bottom of screen) & post some of your data.

Paddy

Upvote 0
Paddy

Thanx for bearing with me!

At work, the download site is off limits will get on line over the weekend and post, its driving me nuts cos it should work as your example.
This message was edited by steven H on 2002-06-28 00:57

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back