Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Changing file links to manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I require the automatic file link update (when you open the workbook) to be changed to manual update but the section in "Edit - Links" is not available. Is there any way to change the file linking to manual?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-04 18:01, Cryp wrote:
    I require the automatic file link update (when you open the workbook) to be changed to manual update but the section in "Edit - Links" is not available. Is there any way to change the file linking to manual?

Thanks
    When you open the spreadsheet you are prompted to update the links. If you select no, your links will then be manual (ie, can only be updated manually).

Does this help you out?

Regards,
    Barrie Davidson

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't really help me. I don't want the prompt to update the links to appear when I open the workbook. The linked file is exported from Access and is saved as Excel 5. The automatic update comes up with an error message when you click "Yes" to update. I have a small VBA routine that will save the linked file as Excel 7 and then update the files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-04 18:15, Cryp wrote:
    Thanks for the reply but it doesn't really help me. I don't want the prompt to update the links to appear when I open the workbook. The linked file is exported from Access and is saved as Excel 5. The automatic update comes up with an error message when you click "Yes" to update. I have a small VBA routine that will save the linked file as Excel 7 and then update the files.
    Are you opening the file using VBA? If so, you can disable the update links by using this syntax:

Workbooks.Open FileName:="Book1.xls", _
    updatelinks:=0

Am I getting close?

Barrie Davidson

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Getting close but I am opening the workbook manually. Is there any code I can put in the "Workbook Open" that will disable the update?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-04 18:32, Anonymous wrote:
    Getting close but I am opening the workbook manually. Is there any code I can put in the "Workbook Open" that will disable the update?
    Sorry - forgot to put my Username in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but if you're opening it manually you're going to be stuck with the prompt when you open it.

Barrie Davidson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Microsoft Knowledge base said you have to use the "ExcecuteExcel4Macro method to run the SET.UPDATE.STATUS() macro command." They also give an example but they use MS Word - dumb and confusing - most people who link files in Excel are linking to other Excel files. Thanks for trying.

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others