Changing file links to manual

Cryp

I require the automatic file link update (when you open the workbook) to be changed to manual update but the section in "Edit - Links" is not available. Is there any way to change the file linking to manual?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
On 2002-03-04 18:01, Cryp wrote:
I require the automatic file link update (when you open the workbook) to be changed to manual update but the section in "Edit - Links" is not available. Is there any way to change the file linking to manual?

Thanks

When you open the spreadsheet you are prompted to update the links. If you select no, your links will then be manual (ie, can only be updated manually).

Does this help you out?

Regards,

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply but it doesn't really help me. I don't want the prompt to update the links to appear when I open the workbook. The linked file is exported from Access and is saved as Excel 5. The automatic update comes up with an error message when you click "Yes" to update. I have a small VBA routine that will save the linked file as Excel 7 and then update the files.

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-04 18:15, Cryp wrote:
Thanks for the reply but it doesn't really help me. I don't want the prompt to update the links to appear when I open the workbook. The linked file is exported from Access and is saved as Excel 5. The automatic update comes up with an error message when you click "Yes" to update. I have a small VBA routine that will save the linked file as Excel 7 and then update the files.

Are you opening the file using VBA? If so, you can disable the update links by using this syntax:

Workbooks.Open FileName:="Book1.xls", _
updatelinks:=0

Am I getting close?
:)

Upvote 0
Getting close but I am opening the workbook manually. Is there any code I can put in the "Workbook Open" that will disable the update?

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-04 18:32, Anonymous wrote:
Getting close but I am opening the workbook manually. Is there any code I can put in the "Workbook Open" that will disable the update?
Sorry - forgot to put my Username in :wink:

Upvote 0
The Microsoft Knowledge base said you have to use the "ExcecuteExcel4Macro method to run the SET.UPDATE.STATUS() macro command." They also give an example but they use MS Word - dumb and confusing - most people who link files in Excel are linking to other Excel files. Thanks for trying.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back