Running macro after user saves file

G

Hello all,

Hopefully this is a simple question. I need to execute a subroutine AFTER the user saves the file (either save OR save as, doesn't matter which).

I have come across both the WorkbookBeforeSave application event and Workbook_BeforeSave workbook event, but again, I need this sub run after the save.

Any thoughts as to how do this?

My apologies if this an ignorant question.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Sean C.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
It's not a stupid question at all. I can't think of anything that will do what you want. Why do you want to run a macro after saving anyway? What does the macro do? There may be another way around this.

(I bet you say a client or the boss needs it this way.) :)

Upvote 0
Well I'm no expert, but could you use the Auto_Close macro to do whatever it is you need to do? I don't know if this would work. I guess it depends on what you want the macro to do. If it's going to be making changes to the file, it will have to be saved again. If the macro doesn't save changes for you, the user will be prompted. Would they say yes if they were, or would they say no cause they've already saved???You could also have the Macro save changes, the only problem is if the user doesn't want to save changes, this would cause a problem. I'm sure my explanation is about as clear as mud and maybe it doesn't even help your problem at all, but it's just a suggestion :)

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-04 18:33, Anonymous wrote:
Hello all,

Hopefully this is a simple question. I need to execute a subroutine AFTER the user saves the file (either save OR save as, doesn't matter which).

I have come across both the WorkbookBeforeSave application event and Workbook_BeforeSave workbook event, but again, I need this sub run after the save.

Any thoughts as to how do this?

My apologies if this an ignorant question.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Sean C.

It sounds simple, but those are usually the more complicated solutions. This is what I would do but it requires the user to close with a button instead of the normal way.

I basically recorded the macro (in Personal.xls)in a file that was already named. clicked save then closed and selected another macro from the list....stop recording. Tie code to button on toolbar.

It worked but am I missing your point?

Sub saveclose_runSub()
'
' saveclose_runSub Macro
' Macro recorded 3/5/2002 by
'

'
ActiveWorkbook.Save
ActiveWindow.Close
Application.Run "PERSONAL.XLS!YourMacro"
End Sub

Ziggy

Upvote 0
Sorry, for some reason when I read your post I thought you wanted it to run when you closed the workbook. My post was useless really! Sorry :)

On 2002-03-05 02:35, y2k wrote:
Well I'm no expert, but could you use the Auto_Close macro to do whatever it is you need to do? I don't know if this would work. I guess it depends on what you want the macro to do. If it's going to be making changes to the file, it will have to be saved again. If the macro doesn't save changes for you, the user will be prompted. Would they say yes if they were, or would they say no cause they've already saved???You could also have the Macro save changes, the only problem is if the user doesn't want to save changes, this would cause a problem. I'm sure my explanation is about as clear as mud and maybe it doesn't even help your problem at all, but it's just a suggestion :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back