How do you Count the number of unique values in a list ?

G

I would like to know how many unique values I have in a given list / range.

Is there a formula to return this number. The data is generally alphanumeric.

Thanks
Sean

Hello there,

I've visited mrexcel frequently if I had questions, never had to post, always found what I was looking for, great work here!

I know I'm bumping a really old post but I have a followup question from the original question. Can the formula be adopted so that it displays the total number of unique values form the displayed values only? In short, when I filter another column, I'd like the number to adapt to the new total skipping the hidden/filtered values.

Thanks in advance!!

Jasper

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hello there,

I've visited mrexcel frequently if I had questions, never had to post, always found what I was looking for, great work here!

I know I'm bumping a really old post but I have a followup question from the original question. Can the formula be adopted so that it displays the total number of unique values form the displayed values only? In short, when I filter another column, I'd like the number to adapt to the new total skipping the hidden/filtered values.

Thanks in advance!!

Jasper

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:
Rich (BB code):
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(E5,ROW(E5:E22)-ROW(E5),,1)),
     IF(E5:E22<>"",MATCH("~"&E5:E22,E5:E22&"",0))),ROW(E5:E22)-ROW(E5)+1),1))

which does effect a distinct count of the items in E5:E22, a range within an autofiltered area of data.

Upvote 0
Thanks Aladin,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I've tried your formula but for me (I use plain Excel 2010, no ad-ons) the formula doesn't seem to work. My Excel doesn't recognize FREQUENCY, any other solutions/suggestions?<o:p></o:p>
Just for the record, I’ve of course tried to ‘confirm’ the formula with Control+Shift+Enter.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Aladin, It works like a charm.

So other readers: Ignorem my last comment
Thanks Aladin,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I've tried your formula but for me (I use plain Excel 2010, no ad-ons) the formula doesn't seem to work. My Excel doesn't recognize FREQUENCY, any other solutions/suggestions?<o:p></o:p>
Just for the record, I’ve of course tried to ‘confirm’ the formula with Control+Shift+Enter.
My mistake!

Upvote 0
Hello there,

Thanks in advance!!

Jasper
This array formula** will count the unique entries in the filtered or unfiltered range A2:A15...

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A2,ROW(A2:A15)-ROW(A2),0)),MATCH(A2:A15,A2:A15,0)),ROW(A2:A15)-ROW(A2)+1),1))

** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the SHIFT key then hit ENTER.

Assumes no empty cells within the range to be counted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back