Conditional Formatting Borders

cjm205

Does anyone know how to make thicker borders using the Conditional Formatting option? The options they give you are all thin borders.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
First, format thick borders around the entire range of those cells you want, then conditional format those cells with "cell value is" "not equal to" or "less than", etc., etc. the criteria you DO NOT WANT with a border, and set the border format to "None".

Upvote 0
I want to make thicker borders WITH CONDITIONAL FORMATTING. Your suggestion, Mr. Werewolf, has nothing to do with my plan here. I would like to conditionally format cells that are empty to have THICK RED borders and ones that are full to have THICK GREEN borders. I know how to write the code to do the borders, but they are THIN, not THICK! Someone that does not turn hairy under a full moon please help me.
This message was edited by cjm205 on 2002-06-26 10:51

Upvote 0
Well, cjm, as you know, there is no option in conditional formatting for a thick line. My suggestion was for an alternative method, perhaps giving the same result. But I do appreciate your response, thanking me for my effort.

Upvote 0
Well I want to thank you! Years later your post was still helpful to someone, and even though you were very clear the other person just did not understand your directions. I wish rude people who ask for help would stay away from all forums until they learn how to properly talk to others.

Upvote 0
Time has marched on for a long time since the original posting, but I now also need to thank the "Awesome" Mr Katcher for his knowledge & guidance on how to achieve this somewhat 'weird' way of formatting cell borders!!! :)

The border formatting rules are still the same in Excel 2010 & although it took me a while to achieve exactly what I wanted to, at least I had a baseline to start from! :)

THANK YOU!

shawthingz

Upvote 0
Hi,
How would you do the formatting for "does not equal"? For example, I had wanted to do conditional formatting (with the thick borders) for =$K7="$", but seeing as there is no "thick" options for borders, I'll try Barry's idea of starting with thick borders and formatting every line that K7, K8, etc, is NOT $.
Thanks,
Becca

Upvote 0
And now, 14 years later, Mr Katcher's solution worked for me. Thank you! I was actually formatting several columns based on whether the entered date had changed from the previous entry so I used the "Formula is" condition. It involved setting up 2 conditions, the first was no format if the date was the same, the second cleared the bold lower border if the date had changed. Again, a big "Thank you, Barry Katcher!"

Upvote 0
Hi, can someone give me a step by step guide on getting this to work? The instructions above seem assume that we already know how to "conditional format cells with "cell value is" "not equal to" or "less than", etc., etc." But unfortunately I don't know how to do this. Specifically, I don't know what type for the formula :(. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back