How do I type a "greater than or equal to" sign in a cell?

paul12345

Hey can someone tell me how to do this? I want to type in a cell a "greater than or equal to" sign. I don't want the two separate symbols ">=" I want it to appear as a SINGLE symbol when it shows on screen or prints out. I know in MS Word this is an easy thing to do...Insert Symbol and just click on the sign, but how do you do this in Excel? I'd appreciate a prompt response, thanks!

-Paul

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Open Your Character Map
(Programs>Accessories>Character Map)

In the Subset field, choose "mathematical operators". Select the ¡Ý symbol and copy and paste to Excel

Edit: the symbol doesn't come through in html
This message was edited by lenze on 2002-06-27 07:21
This message was edited by lenze on 2002-06-27 07:21

Upvote 0
On 2002-06-27 07:10, paul12345 wrote:
Hey can someone tell me how to do this? I want to type in a cell a "greater than or equal to" sign. I don't want the two separate symbols ">=" I want it to appear as a SINGLE symbol when it shows on screen or prints out. I know in MS Word this is an easy thing to do...Insert Symbol and just click on the sign, but how do you do this in Excel? I'd appreciate a prompt response, thanks!

-Paul

Welcome to the board.

The way I find most useful is to make use of the CharMap which is a program usually buried somewhere in the Windows or WINNT directories.

Run this program it gives you the complete selection of all available characters and symbols including Webdings etc etc.

Find the one you want Copy it using the button, Goto whatever Windows application you are working on and select paste.

(note If you are using a font other than the default you will need to change to the font ie as I said above eveb Webdings)

Directory path I needed was C:WINNTSYSTEM32Charmap.exe (I think, Extensions are hidden)

Hope this helps.
:)

Upvote 0
Ok I tried that but it does not work (btw the character map is in Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools). When I paste the character into the cell, it doesn't give me that sign, instead it gives me a funky curly character that looks like a sideways heart.

Upvote 0
On 2002-06-27 07:25, paul12345 wrote:
Ok I tried that but it does not work (btw the character map is in Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools). When I paste the character into the cell, it doesn't give me that sign, instead it gives me a funky curly character that looks like a sideways heart.

Take a note of the font that it shows up as in Charmap and then use the same font in Excel and it will then print successfully.

Upvote 0
Take a note of the font that it shows up as in Charmap and then use the same font in Excel and it will then print successfully.

One note. If you link this cell into a Word document, the symbol WON'T show up properly in Word.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back