Military Members

thetank

Board Regular
I am in the military and I need to keep track of how many people we have in our unit (over 500). They want to know how many of each rating we have and what pay grade they are in.

Example
BU1 Smith is an Builder (BU) and is an E6
BUC Nelson is a Builder (BU) and is an E7
BUCN Schmukatelli is a Builder (BU) and is an E3
EO3 Deere is an Equipment Operator (EO) and is an E4

We also have other ratings other than BU, EO etc.. that would fall into an other category, but they still want to know how many of each.

Basically I need to know how many E1's, E2's, E3's, etc we have: how many BU3's, BU2's, BU1's etc. we have, and then how many E5 and above we have in each category as well as overall.

I have gotten a majority of it figured out but I am having trouble getting the program to recognize the difference between say a ABFSN (Aviation Boatswains Mate E3) and an ABF1 (Aviation Boatswains Mate E6).

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
RE. Military Members

That is the hard part. Rates are:
E1 = CR
E2 = CA
E3 = CN
E4 = 3
E5 = 2
E6 = 1
E7 = C
E8 = CS
E9 = CM

Typically the rating in front is two characters (ie BU for Builder) however there are also rates that have three characters (ie ABF)

Upvote 0
Can you have an AB as well as an ABF? Trying to see if there will ever be a match at 2 characters and another at 3 for the 1st bit.

Upvote 0
No there are no rates that start out the same. The rates are mostly two characters, however there are some that are three.

Those are just the enlisted rates. Officers are
ENS = O1
LTjg = O2
LT = O3
LCDR = O4
CDR = O5
CAPT = O6
RADM = O7

but there are only about 30 officers in the unit, so I can do them by hand if I need to. It's the enlisted that is the tedious task. The guy that did this before me has a pivot table set up, but I don't know how to use a pivot table and there are errors with it when you run into the rate with three characters and you physically have to subrtact out the E4 and below to get a count of E5-E9.

If you want, I can e-mail you the excel sheet that I have, so you can take a look.

Upvote 0
Mark, I think I can use that, but I don't think it is what I am looking for. I get the data from several different files. And I copy and paste just the rate/rank and last name. I don't need to have the last name, it is just there to keep it straight since I know most of their names and what their rates are.

They just want to know:

How many E6's we have overall and from that total they want to know how many BU1, EO1, CM1 etc...

How many E5's we have overall and from that total they want to know how many BU2, EO2, CM2 etc...

They want this for each rank.

I get a list of over 500 names and copy and paste into a sheet. Some months I have 520 some months it may only be 490. It fluctuates. This is only a portion of the list that I get

ABF3 LANG
BM2 SHOC
BMC GRAY
BU1 DAIL
BU1 SCHW
BU1 HATC
BU1 ALBE
BU1 NELS
BU1 CHEN
BU1 LEWI
BU1 WALL
BU1 GAMM
BU1 MEEL
BU1 GOIN
BU1 HAWK
BU1 JOHN
BU1 MORA
BU1 GASP
BU1 HIND
BU2 NOSA
BU2 BRAN
BU2 CLAY
BU2 WILT
BU2 BROW
BU2 WEIS
BU2 GILL
BU2 RENN
BU2 WINA
BU2 RUDD
BU2 NUSS

Like I said, I can email what I have and you can evaluate the best way to do it.

Upvote 0
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJK
1Rate/RankNameGradeCount of Name
2ABF3LANGE4GradeTotal
3BM2SHOCE5E41
4BMCGRAYE7E512
5BU1DAILE6E616
6BU1SCHWE6E71
7BU1HATCE6Grand Total30
8BU1ALBEE6
9BU1NELSE6
10BU1CHENE6
11BU1LEWIE6
12BU1WALLE6
13BU1GAMME6
14BU1MEELE6
15BU1GOINE6
Sheet1

Upvote 0
But now how to differentiate between how many E5's are BU, how many are EO, UT, etc...?

I appreciate your help, by the way.

Upvote 0
It's the least that I can do for the men and women in uniform...
Book1.xls
ABCDEFGHIJK
1Rate/RankNameRatingGradeCount of NameRating
2ABF3LANGABFE4GradeABFBMBUGrand Total
3BM2SHOCBME5E411
4BMCGRAYBME7E511112
5BU1DAILBUE6E61616
6BU1SCHWBUE6E711
7BU1HATCBUE6Grand Total122730
8BU1ALBEBUE6
9BU1NELSBUE6
10BU1CHENBUE6
11BU1LEWIBUE6
12BU1WALLBUE6
13BU1GAMMBUE6
14BU1MEELBUE6
15BU1GOINBUE6
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back