alerts!

G

i have a pivot table which analyses the quantity of products bought by customers.

the table shows the volume over the past 4 years (rows) and months (columns) to try and show a pattern.

is there a way that i can define a pattern, and then an alert to show that an expected purchase has not happened?

thanks

richard

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi Richard,

I would recommend that you look into Excel's correlation coefficient calculation (function CORREL). I assume you want to see if there is a pattern in the month-to-month purchasing between different years. The correlation coefficient should tell you whether there is a similar pattern between 2001 and 2000, for example. If the correlation coefficient between years is zero (or very small) there is no correlation (no similarity in the pattern), but if it is 0.5 or larger there is a significant correlation (pattern). You would need to experiment a bit to find out how to set the alert threshold, but once you determine this you might come up with a test that says, for example, that if the correlation coefficient is below .2 an alert (use MsgBox) is issued to indicate that a significant departure from past history has occurred.

Upvote 0
i was the original poster of the question,..

thanks for your help

will this work if am comparing each month as the results happen, ie. comparing a series of months over the 2 years.

thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back