line intersection (this is a hard one.)

Dhussar

I have two lines, one is a straight line which I can easily develope an equation for, the other is an irregular curved line that I only have data points for. How do I automatically determine the value where they meet?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi Dhussar,

There are many ways to do this. Which way depends on your problem and needs. First, how accurate does the solution have to be? How close together and how "curved" is the curve. If close together or not very curved then very simple linear interpolation between points would probably be appropriate. If the curve is represented by sparse points or has a lot of curvature then the best way would probably be to curve fit and equation, probably a polynomial power series, to the points in the vicinity of the intersection, and solve the two equations simultaneously to find the intersection.

Another factor that must be considered is whether the data of the curve is "noisy", e.g., did it come from measurements that contain measurement error? If so a least-squares curve fitting method is appropriate since it allows the errors to exist but minimizes their effects.

Perhaps if you could describe your problem in a bit more detail, I could make more specific recommendations, and even propose a specific algorithm or code.

Upvote 0
I sent a private message to you but not sure if you got it. Anyway, I'm trying to find the yield point of a tensile test. The graph starts flat, increases rapidly in a linear fasion, flatnes out with a slight increase, and then drops back to zero. The yield point is defined as the point where a straight line offset from this linear portion by .2% crosses the point where the graph flatens. I don't know if this is much help, its a lot to say in the limited space. The data looks something like this:
y x
1 .01
2 .02
2 .03
5 .04
10 .05
15 .06
20 .07
25 .08
26 .09
27 .1
28 .11
4 .12
2 .13
1 .14
0 .15

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back