Linking in Excel Worksheets
Amazing chart utilities from Jon Peltier
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Linking in Excel Worksheets

Currently I have one worksheet (within a workbook) that I use for all my data entry. All the subsequent worksheets are linked to the data worksheet for monthly reports/charts. I know want to create a linked chart that displays only the most current date. I would only want the chart to display data that was entered on the present date. How can I specify a linked range that changes daily on that worksheet?

Thanks for any input.

You could probably use an IF statement, but I am not sure how you would increment it each day.

=IF(Data_Entry_Sheet!A1=TODAY(),Data_Entry_Sheet!B1,0)

Maybe you could have the function check a range of dates, compare to todays date, then return the selected data. I'm not sure how help you with that though.

That points me in right direction for what I am trying to do. Does anyone know how to create an IF statement to check within a range for a current date or would a VLOOKUP be more appropriate?

Thanks - this is a great site!

Use a Vlookup function. This way if you use the date in the far left column you can reutn any value in the same row for that day.
    =VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index,range_lookup)

where:

lookup_value = The value to be found in the first column of the array.

table_array = The table of information in which data is looked up.

col_index = The column number in the table_array for which the matching value should be returned.

range_lookup = It is a logical value that specifies whether you want to find an exact match or an approximate match. If TRUE or omitted, an approximate match is returned; in
    other words, if an exact match is not found, the next largest value that is less than the lookup_value is returned. If FALSE, VLOOKUP finds an exact match. If an exact match is not found, the #N/A error value is returned.

I got this right from Microsofts support page, I am surprise nobody else had any thoughts on this problem.

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others