Incredable Shrinking Columns

KniteMare

Board Regular
First off I have developed a workaround to this I just want to know why it happens!!

I have a time and attendance Workbook. It is used in 20 facilities some on a LAN some stand alone. On some machines the column width shrinks a little each time the program opens and the buttons shrink and shift left. This continues until the sheet is unreadable.

To work around I deleted all the buttons and wrote a build on the fly menu system. This acually speeds up the code like 90% so this is good. Other code checks the column width agaist what I want it to be and if any column is not standard the column width then all columns are reset. This happens just once. This code resets when you change sheets.

I have been on several forums and have heard others complain about the same problem. I would like to find out why it happens so that I can set an on open event to stop users from doing what ever it is that causes the problem to begin with. (if this is at all posible)

Yours in EXCELelent Frustration
Brian.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
KniteMare,

I feel your pain...I too have an attendance tracking program (timecards) that is used on the network. When I created it on my computer, I figured it would work the same on any other terminal; WRONG!

Anyways, I have not run into any workbook formatting differences such as yours--(mostly code behavior problems due to missing vba references on terminal running program). Have you tried to define column widths on workbook open event?

Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.ColumnWidth = 10
etc...

Don't know if this will solve the differences in formatting appearance on the other computers, but try and let me know if it worked.

Aloha!

p.s. did you get my private message?

Upvote 0
I must be doing something wrong; whenever I post a reply--even if I am logged in--my post shows up as 'anonymous.' (Happens everytime I post a reply.) Anyways, the post above is from me.

Aloha!

Upvote 0
I used to use an on open event for this but the program would open way to slow. So I set to run when a cell (Any Cell is clicked) I set up an array with the correct column widths defined and looped this, if any do not match the oloop stops, sets the column widths and then terminates. A pointer is set to a value (I used 4) the next time a cell is clicked if the value is 4 the routine is skipped. By before close and before deactivate evets reset the pointer to 0. This handeles the column width problem. I just want to know why it happens.

BTW I have not gotten any private message from you as of this writing. Unless I just do not know how to retrieve them yet.

Mahola for getting back to me though

Aloha,
Brian

Upvote 0
HI,

If you work as an administrative professional in a small office, chances are that you may be responsible for tracking employee attendance. In this article, you'll learn to create an attendance workbook by using Microsoft Office Excel 2003 that not only provides a place for you to record attendance but that also summarizes critical information for a scannable year-to-date status report.

Thank you...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back