Opening/converting Works .wks files into Excel 2002

sagain2k

Board Regular
I have a large number of .wks files that were apparently created in Microsoft Works. When I tried opening them in Excel 2002 (with Works 2.0 format), I just get garbage (same as in Word). I did download a "OCONVPCK.EXE" converter addin and from Microsoft that supposedly included more converters for older file formats, but after installing it there was no change.

My client is not sure what application version created all these .wks files, but they are supposedly Microsoft Works. I've read that the only way to open Works 3.0 or 4.0 files into Excel is to open them in those applications and then save them in Works 2.0 format...something I find hard to believe but then again much is with Microsoft.

I don't have Microsoft Works 3.0 or 4.0 (or any version for that matter)...any suggestions for a solution other than installing MS Works 3.0/4.0 and doing that 2-step process one file at a time?? Any converstion programs (shareware/freeware) that might do the trick? Thanks!

--Ray

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
The method usually employed, outside of special software that may or may not be available, is to open the Works file in the appropriate Works program, then save it as an Excel file of the highest version possible. That file may now be opened in an Excel version that may be one or two versions higher than the one the file was saved in.

But, this is fine for one or a few files, not for "a large number".

I'm sure that a good programmer could write a program to do this. Perhaps your company's computer gurus could do it. I wish you good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iparraguirre89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back