Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trying to use SUMPRODUCT with ranges spanning two worksheets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am using Excel 2000. I have three ranges and three worksheets, all in one workbook.

The three sheets are named, in order:

Open, Closed, Main

The ranges were named using the Insert, Name, Define method. One of my ranges is named "Case_Create". It is defined as:

=Closed!$Q$1:$Q$1000

I have two other ranges with similar definitions, but different column references.

Here is my issue: My SUMPRODUCT formula on my "Main" sheet works great if I only reference my "Closed" sheet. When I change the range definition to include the "Open" sheet, none of the formulas work. I have looked through everything I can find and cannot find why this won't work.

I am using the accepted format of:

=Open:Closed!$Q$1:$Q$1000

Excel accepts it fine, but the formulas do not work.

Thanks very much for the help.
    -Genio

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote from Excel Help:

Guidelines for using 3-D references
    You can use 3-D references to refer to cells on other sheets, to define names, and to create formulas by using the following functions: SUM, AVERAGE, AVERAGEA, COUNT, COUNTA, MAX, MAXA, MIN, MINA, PRODUCT, STDEV, STDEVA, STDEVP, STDEVPA, VAR, VARA, VARP, and VARPA.

3-D references cannot be used in array formulas.

3-D references cannot be used with the intersection operator (a single space) or in formulas that use implicit intersection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew,

I apologize for missing that in the app help section. My bad on that one.

Thanks for the response though. That's an unfortunate limitation in Excel.

Good to know.

Thanks very much,

Genio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-07-30 09:24, Genio wrote:
    Andrew,

I apologize for missing that in the app help section. My bad on that one.

Thanks for the response though. That's an unfortunate limitation in Excel.

Good to know.

Thanks very much,

Genio
    Yes, not all functions can be used in 3d fashion. However, depending on whether such a choice is warrented, you can use THREED from the Morefunc add-in to effect a 3d computation with functions unlisted in the Help file.

Suppose we want total Sheet2!D2:D5 and Sheet3!D2:D5 if Sheet2!C2:C5 and Sheet3!C2:C5 meet the condition specified in A2 in Sheet1.

In B2 enter:

=SUMPRODUCT((THREED(Sheet2:Sheet3!C2:C5)=A2)*(THREED(Sheet2:Sheet3!D2:D5)))

Note. This is not a problem where one would want to use SUMPRODUCT. SUMIF would suffice.

See the figures:

******** ******************** ************************************************************************>
    Microsoft Excel - aa3dSumproduct Genio.xls___Running: xl2000 : OS = Windows Windows 2000
    (F)ile (E)dit (V)iew (I)nsert (O)ptions (T)ools (D)ata (W)indow (H)elp (A)bout
    =

A
    B
    C
    D
    a195
    Sheet1

[HtmlMaker 2.20] To see the formula in the cells just click on the cells hyperlink or click the Name box
    PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS TABLE IMAGE ON SAME PAGE! OTHEWISE, ERROR OF JavaScript OCCUR.

******** ******************** ************************************************************************>
    Microsoft Excel - aa3dSumproduct Genio.xls___Running: xl2000 : OS = Windows Windows 2000
    =

B
    C
    D
    E
    a15
    a210
    a115
    a240
    Sheet2

[HtmlMaker 2.20] To see the formula in the cells just click on the cells hyperlink or click the Name box
    PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS TABLE IMAGE ON SAME PAGE! OTHEWISE, ERROR OF JavaScript OCCUR.

=

B
    C
    D
    E
    a125
    a240
    a150
    a270
    Sheet3

Morefunc is downloadable at:

http://longre.free.fr/english/index.html

Addendum. The ranges of interest must be referred to in native mode, not as names.

Aladin

[ This Message was edited by: Aladin Akyurek on 2002-07-30 10:39 ]

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others