Macro to delete another macro and the whole module

Andrew

Can I have an macro which will stop the Auto_Close macro from running.
And Is there any macro to delete the module of an opened workbook??

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Can I have an macro which will stop the Auto_Close macro from running.
And Is there any macro to delete the module of an opened workbook??

You can use Application.EnableEvents to turn off events (and therefore override the Auto_close procedure) e.g. Running disable events will close the workbook without Auto_Close running.

Code:
Sub DisableEvents()
Application.EnableEvents = False
ThisWorkbook.Close
End Sub

Sub Auto_close()
MsgBox "Hello"
End Sub

As for the second part take a look here:-

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.htm

It's about a third the way down. Before using the code you must go to Tools, References and select Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility Library.

HTH,
D

Upvote 0
Couple of additional thoughts.

First, auto macros (open & close) aren't really event procedures, I don't think enabling or disabling the events prevents these macros from running. However, Auto macros do not run if a file is being opened or closed via vba (another macro). Also, if you're opeing or closing the file manually, hold your shift key, this will disable the macros.

Second, Chip's code works great. The only thing I've noticed is that you don't necessarily need to declare the:
VBCodeMod As CodeModule

I got hung up with this when working with class modules....

Cheers, Nate

Upvote 0
First, auto macros (open & close) aren't really event procedures, I don't think enabling or disabling the events prevents these macros from running. However, Auto macros do not run if a file is being opened or closed via vba (another macro). Also, if you're opeing or closing the file manually, hold your shift key, this will disable the macros.

In the sense that Excel will look for procedures Auto_Open (after Workbook_Open) and Auto_Close (after Workbook_BeforeClose) when opening or closing a file then these ARE events occurring within the Excel application. If you run the code then you'll see that this is the case. This is a throwback to earlier versions of Excel which didn't support Workbook_Open or Workbook_close events and should generally not be used.

Regards,
D

Upvote 0
Not to be argumentative, yep, auto macros are literally events, but not technically "event procedures." And yes, it has everything to do with Excel's evolution..

But here's where I struggle. Your code works as intended (kudos), and when I don't re-enable events manually, I open a workbook with "event procedures" (i.e., workbook_open) and none of these fire. While still having events disabled, I open a workbook with an auto_open macro, and this macro does indeed launch, as does the auto_close. It's all a little mysterious to me.....

Thank God it's Friday!

Nate
This message was edited by NateO on 2002-03-08 12:24

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back