Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Find all cells containing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to find all cells containing a certain text without using the simple find comand?

I want to find all cells containing the word test. sometimes it is XXtest or aatest or testb. There are hundreds of these possibilities and I want to find all of them. Is there a formula that will look for this. I am hoping to use it to set a flag next to this cell.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-03-08 11:22, DC wrote:
    Is there a way to find all cells containing a certain text without using the simple find comand?

I want to find all cells containing the word test. sometimes it is XXtest or aatest or testb. There are hundreds of these possibilities and I want to find all of them. Is there a formula that will look for this. I am hoping to use it to set a flag next to this cell.

Thanks
    You could use the SEARCH function. This will find the word "test" regardless of case and return the character number where it is found. You could then use an IF statement to flag if the the SEARCH function returns a number. The syntax is:

=SEARCH("test",A1)

Regards,
    Barrie Davidson

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others