VLOOKUP

sm2200

Board Regular
I have experience using VLOOKUP in Lotus and Symphony. Now I want to use a VLOOKUP in Excel but I'm running into a problem. To isolate the problem I set up a very simple basic VLOOKUP array and VLOOKUP column and still am getting incorrect readings. It is a very very simple array and I can't figure out the problem. As I said I'm new to Excel.
I believe emailing the array to anyone interested in finding the problem would be the simplest (only) way to figure it out. Let me know your email address and I'll send it.
Thanks,
Sam Marx

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
On 2002-03-09 09:36, sm2200 wrote:
I have experience using VLOOKUP in Lotus and Symphony. Now I want to use a VLOOKUP in Excel but I'm running into a problem. To isolate the problem I set up a very simple basic VLOOKUP array and VLOOKUP column and still am getting incorrect readings. It is a very very simple array and I can't figure out the problem. As I said I'm new to Excel.
I believe emailing the array to anyone interested in finding the problem would be the simplest (only) way to figure it out. Let me know your email address and I'll send it.
Thanks,
Sam Marx

Sam, go ahead and e-mail the spreadsheet. For an explanation of Excel VLOOKUP you might want to look at:

http://ca.geocities.com/b_davidso/Web_Page_Files/Excel/lookup.html#VLOOK

Regards,

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-09 09:36, sm2200 wrote:
Thanks,
Sam Marx

Sam,

Consider the following sample

{1,2.3;2,2.4;3,8.7;5,2.1;6,3.5}

in A2:B6. That is, A2 houses 1, B2 2.3, A3 2, etc.

Suppose you want to retrieve the value associated with 4 from the above "table". The range A2:B6 is as it were a 2-column table.

Put this 4, which is a lookup value, in C2.

In D2 enter:

[1]

=VLOOKUP(C2,$A$2:$B$6,2)

In E2 enter:

[2]

=VLOOKUP(C2,$A$2:$B$6,2,0)

In [1], VLOOKUP executes an approximate match. That is, it looks in A2:A6 for a value that is (a) closest or (b)equal to 4.
This use of VLOOKUP requires that the "table" is sorted in ascending (or in some cases, in descending) order.

In [2], VLOOKUP is asked to execute an exact match between the lookup value in C2 and the values in A2:A6. The flag or match-type 0 signals the demand for an exact match. FALSE instead of 0 does the same. We could also have added 1 (or TRUE) in [1] to signal that we want a closest/approximate match. Omitting that boils down to the same.

The synntax of this function is thus:

VLOOKUP(lookup-value,lookup-table,find-column,match-type)

where match-type [0,1] or [FALSE,TRUE] is optional; find-column is specified by a number. In our lookup-table which is A2:B6, A2:A6 is column 1 and B2:B6 is column 2.

Hope this helps.

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back