Don't display errors like #VALUE! ???

charlie79

Board Regular
I'm creating an Excel app that gets a lot of data from another application (PI-System). I am doing some calculations and in some cases there are empty cells in the range that I'm doing a calculation on. Eventually, the empty cells might have data in them. I don't want the user to see the #VALUE! in the formulated cell. Help please!

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
How about

=IF(ISERR("any function"),"","Any function")

Or if you only want them hidden Conditional Formatting.

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-11 08:52, charlie79 wrote:
I'm creating an Excel app that gets a lot of data from another application (PI-System). I am doing some calculations and in some cases there are empty cells in the range that I'm doing a calculation on. Eventually, the empty cells might have data in them. I don't want the user to see the #VALUE! in the formulated cell. Help please!

I doubt that you have just empty cells in the range -- empty cells wouldn't cause the #VALUE! error. Generally, functions and arithemtic operatiors will treat an empty cell as 0.

So, find out what's really there and deal with 'em. Arbitrarily, ignoring a #VALUE! error is never a good idea. What calculation are you performing?
This message was edited by Mark W. on 2002-03-11 09:46

Upvote 0
I've had to deal with that problem, in that sometimes a cell is empty, and sometimes it's not. I use the

IF(condition,true_action,false_action)

function to determine if a cell has a valid entry, and if it does, run the formula. If not, pass the "empty value" or assign a placeholder.

You do have to use this "value checking" routine on formulae that are 'downstream', but if you set all your formulae up right the first time, your users never have to see a #VALUE error in the results again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back