Help! I need to get rid of hard returns!

Christine D

I have downloaded data from Filemaker Pro to a text tab delimited file, and imported into XL. My problem is I have little squares where hard returns are in the file. I need to get rid of these and replace it with a space. I have tried find and replace, but it doesn't seem to work. In help I have discovered the clean function, but I don't understand pivot tables, so it is confusing. Please make directions as simple as possible for this beginner!
Thanks!
Christine

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
On 2002-03-11 11:15, Christine D wrote:
I have downloaded data from Filemaker Pro to a text tab delimited file, and imported into XL. My problem is I have little squares where hard returns are in the file. I need to get rid of these and replace it with a space. I have tried find and replace, but it doesn't seem to work. In help I have discovered the clean function, but I don't understand pivot tables, so it is confusing. Please make directions as simple as possible for this beginner!
Thanks!
Christine

Christine,

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(13)," ")

will replace carriage returns in A1 with spaces.

Aladin

Upvote 0
Christine, let's see what those "little squares" actually are. In an empty cell enter, =CODE(RIGHT(A1)), where A1 is a reference to one of those pesky text strings. What's the value that's returned?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back