Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sorting Data

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under Data, Sort, there are three different ways that I can sort data. Is there a way to sort by more than three ways? For instance, it says "Sort by," "Then by," "Then by," but I want to sort by even more ways (i.e. I need more "Then bys"). Is this possible?

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On 2002-08-19 20:38, jal418 wrote:
    Under Data, Sort, there are three different ways that I can sort data. Is there a way to sort by more than three ways? For instance, it says "Sort by," "Then by," "Then by," but I want to sort by even more ways (i.e. I need more "Then bys"). Is this possible?
    Hi - welcome to the board!

Straightforward way to do sort by more than 3 criteria - do it in 2 steps. See the help file for 'Sort rows based on the contents of two or more columns', from which the following is a quote:

If you need to sort by more than three columns, sort by the least important columns first. For example, if your list contains employee information and you need to organize it by Department, Title, Last Name, and First Name, sort the list twice. First, click First Name in the Sort by box and sort the list. Second, click Department in the Sort by box, click Title in the first Then by box, and click Last Name in the second Then by box, and sort the list.
    paddy

[ This Message was edited by: PaddyD on 2002-08-19 22:26 ]

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others