Calculate Avg of Values in a column based on dates in anothe

Vlip

Hi,

I have a column of sequential dates spanning several years in Column A. In column B, I have a set of values. I want to write a formula that will compute the average of values in column B by month and year. In other words, if my dates start on Jan 01, 2001 to present, I want a formula in column C lets say that will return the Average of values in Column B for Jan 1 to Jan 31, then Feb 1 to Feb 28, etc. Each subsequent row in Column C should contain the average of values in Column B for the next month. I wouldn't mind putting the formulas in Column D and creating entries in column C that would contain the month and year to summarize. Is there a way to do this with a formula? I know how I would do this in VBA but I want to try to do it with a formula. Can anyone suggest a formula to do this?

Thanks for your help!
Vlip

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
On 2002-03-11 18:15, Vlip wrote:
Hi,

I have a column of sequential dates spanning several years in Column A. In column B, I have a set of values. I want to write a formula that will compute the average of values in column B by month and year. In other words, if my dates start on Jan 01, 2001 to present, I want a formula in column C lets say that will return the Average of values in Column B for Jan 1 to Jan 31, then Feb 1 to Feb 28, etc. Each subsequent row in Column C should contain the average of values in Column B for the next month. I wouldn't mind putting the formulas in Column D and creating entries in column C that would contain the month and year to summarize. Is there a way to do this with a formula? I know how I would do this in VBA but I want to try to do it with a formula. Can anyone suggest a formula to do this?

Thanks for your help!
Vlip

Are you looking to have the average in column C in rows 1 to 12? If yes, you could use an array formula, something like:

=SUM((MONTH($A$2:$A$60)=ROW())*($B$2:$B$60))/SUM((MONTH($A$2:$A$60)=ROW())*1)

Change the references:

• $A$2:$A$60, to your range of dates in column A
• $B$2:$B$60, to your range of data to average

Enter this formula in C1 and then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (instead of ENTER). Then, copy down to C12.

Is this what you are looking for?

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-11 18:15, Vlip wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your help!
Vlip

Another formula-based approach

Lets say that A2:B50 houses your data.

Create a list of 3-letter month names in column C from C2 on (that is, "Jan", "Feb", etc.

Create a list of years in row 1 from D1 on, e.g., 2001, 2002, etc. depending on your data.

In D2 enter, copy across then down:

=SUMPRODUCT((YEAR($A$2:$A$50)=D$1)*(TEXT($A$2:$A$50,"mmm")=$C2),$B$2:$B$50)/MAX(1,SUMPRODUCT((YEAR($A$2:$A$50)=D$1)*(TEXT($A$2:$A$50,"mmm")=$C2)))

If your data area is changing frequently e.g., by new additions, you can switch to a formula that computes the data ranges dynamically:

In C1 enter:

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A)

In D2 enter and copy across then down:

=SUMPRODUCT((YEAR(OFFSET($A$2,0,0,$C$1,1))=D$1)*(TEXT(OFFSET($A$2,0,0,$C$1,1),"mmm")=$C2)*(OFFSET($B$2,0,0,$C$1,1)))/MAX(1,SUMPRODUCT((YEAR(OFFSET($A$2,0,0,$C$1,1))=D$1)*(TEXT(OFFSET($A$2,0,0,$C$1,1),"mmm")=$C2)))

Note. You can also use the month numbers instead of 3-letter codes, which would requires using MONTH instead of TEXT.

Upvote 0
Hi Vlip

Sounds like a Pivot Table with dates grouped by month would be ideal for this. This would honestly be the most efficient approach. If you do go with a Pivot Table I would also advise using a Dynamic range as the data range for the Pivot Table. I have quite a few examples here:

http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges.htm

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcaw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back