Formula showing in the cell but not the result.

Majen

I have a formula in a cell and when I use the formula bar it shows me the correct answer but it doesn't show me it in the worksheet. Only the formula shows up.

The same formula could be another place in my worksheet and work fine.

I have tried changing format. Copying formula from another location and changing the information to fit my needs it won't show me the result.

Help!

Thank you.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
None of these things worked for me.

In my case, I had to select the column that I wanted the formulas entered in right clicked, and changed format to General from 'text', then it worked ...

Upvote 0
I know this is an old post but here is what works in Excel 2007. From the Microsoft help files.
Switch between displaying formulas and their values on a worksheet

• Press CTRL + ` (grave accent).

Upvote 0
I had the same problem but the tricks above didn't work. Another work around is to copy and paste the cells displaying the formulas in to a word document and cut and pasting them back in to the excel worksheet.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem but the tricks above didn't work. Another work around is to copy and paste the cells displaying the formulas in to a word document and cut and pasting them back in to the excel worksheet.

I read about a little trick around here somewhere that has always (so far) helped me out of these kinds of situations. Try typing a 1 (one) in a blank cell. Copy that 1. Select your problem cells, bring up paste special, choose multiply.

Upvote 0
I've seen this anomaly as well.

The solution I found is quick & easy.

Simply edit the cell with the formula, place a single quote at the beginning of your formula, press enter to insert your change, then remove the single quote and Excel is forced to evaluate the format for the cell.

I'm guessing there's a little event bug in Excel here. There seems to be a failure to automatically kick off the format decision routine or whatever it's called.

Upvote 0
The issue is the format of the cells before the function is typed. If the format of the cells is TEXT before you type the function, it will display anything you type in that field as text. Here is the solution:

1. Right click the cell with the formula, Choose Format Cells.
2. In th Number Tab, choose General.
3. Click OK.
4. Double click on your formula in the cell, and press enter.

Viola, you should see the function result instead of the formula text.

Upvote 0
Hi all, just had the same problem, here's how I fixed it:

Press CTRL + ` (grave accent).

This switches between displaying formulae and result.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back