Formula showing in the cell but not the result.

Majen

I have a formula in a cell and when I use the formula bar it shows me the correct answer but it doesn't show me it in the worksheet. Only the formula shows up.

The same formula could be another place in my worksheet and work fine.

I have tried changing format. Copying formula from another location and changing the information to fit my needs it won't show me the result.

Help!

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
I'm not sure what you a looking for as a result but if you put 1234 into E68

=MID(E68,4,2) & "2X"& LEFT(E68,2) & "4"

will give you 42X124

=VALUE(MID(E68,4,2)+2) & "X" & VALUE(LEFT(E68,2)+4)

will give you 6X16

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I have had this problem too, many a time.

The best thing I can suggest is that, instead of typing "=" in the beginning of the formula, click on the = button just to the left of the little edit line. This will bring up a formula editor dialog.

That doesn't always work, but it seems to work most of the time.

There is something goofy with Excel in that it shows, sometimes, the formula even though, yes, indeed, you began the formula with "=". In fact, even if you cut and paste from a working cell to another, sometimes the formula works and the output is shown, sometimes the formula, complete with leading "=", just appears.

But it doesn't always happen when cutting and pasting. My guess is some as yet unknown way to reproduce in which Excel is thinking you're pasting a string instead of a formula, even though you copied it from another cell where it worked as a formula.

Anyone wanting to explore further might make permutation tests of source and destination cells being text or not, and copying the source cell by way of selecting the sell and copying (marching ant lines around the cell) vs. editing the sell and copying the formula via text based highlight, as in a text editor. In fact...

Yes! That's it!

At least this combo works:

Source and destination cells are formatted as normal, not text. Enter =4 + 5 in a cell. You see 9, and =4 + 5 remains, correctly, as the hidden formula.

Now convert it and a destination cell into text. Copy using either internal text edit copy or whole-cell copy (marching ants). Paste into destination, and wham! You see =4 + 5 instead of 9 as the cell's visible value.

Whew, that takes a load off my mind. I thought Excel was buggy instead of just merely clunkily designed.

To sum up my long-winded thought process of discovery, perserved for historical reasons above, somewhere between the copy and paste Excel gets confused and converts a formula into text.
This message was edited by AChimpNamedCornelius on 2002-08-23 13:52

Upvote 0
you are right AChimpNamedCornelius

Then:
select the cell containing "=4 + 5"
press F2 to edit
make no changes and hit return
the result is "9"

Henk

Upvote 0
General method for fixing the following problem:

"All my formulas have ended up in text formatted fields & are held as text values. Even changing the format doesn't seem to help".

1) Go to - Edit | Go to | Special | Formulas. Press OK
2)Go to - Edit - Replace...
3) Find: =
4) Replace with : =
5) Click Replace all

In most cases, has the 'effect' of re-entering the formula(s), & getting Excel to recognise it as a formula not a text string.

Paddy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back